ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine out!! driveshafts out? PAS? a/c?

Arctic blue 182ff
PLease help!

What are you best suggestions on removing the driveshaft when taking 182 engine out? do we need to take them out of the wheel ends too?

also how shall we go about remove PAS an A/C??

thanks JACK.

Drain the gearbox oil, remove the three bolts holding the NS driveshaft gaitor to the box, remove the rollpin holding the OS shaft to the gearbox sun wheel.

Remove the lower strut to hub bolt and this should be enough to get them out through the wheel arch.

BMW M135i
This is all opinion of what i'd do no doubt someone will correct me on this but i'd completely remove the driveshafts, drain and disconnect the pas lines from the rack and drain and disconnect (properly!) the a/c lines too unless you can unbolt the compressor and leave that with the car which would save having to have to a/c regassed after. Can't remeber how easy to do it is in the car.

Id remove them completely too...

Do what 'Willy Lover' said, then....undo the hub/shaft bolts on the hubs, 30mm. Then undo the shock bolts and pull the hub towards yourself. You'l be able to get the driveshafts out then.

Although, you might have it a bit more complicated than a 172, due to you having a bearing on the back of the engine block supporting the driveshaft, could do with undoing the bolts for that to get the shaft completely off.

Id remove them completely too...

Do what 'Willy Lover' said, then....undo the hub/shaft bolts on the hubs, 30mm. Then undo the shock bolts and pull the hub towards yourself. You'l be able to get the driveshafts out then.

Although, you might have it a bit more complicated than a 172, due to you having a bearing on the back of the engine block supporting the driveshaft, could do with undoing the bolts for that to get the shaft completely off.

LOL, completely forgot about the hub nut :hail: Easiest to do the hub nut first when the wheels are on the ground, centre cap off the alloy and get at it there.

What's this bearing on the back of the block?

Some 172s and most 182s have it...

The driveshaft is two piece....comes off the box to this bearing in a straight line, then off to the hub. Bolts onto the 3 holes on the back of the block, not got a pic to hand unfortunately!

Some 172s and most 182s have it...

The driveshaft is two piece....comes off the box to this bearing in a straight line, then off to the hub. Bolts onto the 3 holes on the back of the block, not got a pic to hand unfortunately!

hmmm, equal length shafts? The normal shafts are almost this setup anyway, the part that sits on the sun wheel is a cup that the shaft spider bearing sits in, it's not bolted to the block but sounds like it does the same job

04102008118.jpg

Crap pic but you can see the bracket/bearing and one part of the two piece shaft there, thats from a 182