ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine 'Pinking'/Missfiring When Cold?

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
Hey, guys.

I've recently noticed that, when I start my car up in the morning, it has a few problems. It's only just started occurring, but - right from the off - the engine will occasionally 'shudder' every couple of seconds. I think it's a missfire, but I'm not quite sure, and I'd just like some clarification on it - if it was a missfire, would I be able to tell distinctively, or are my suspicions correct that a shudder signifies a missfire?

Also, a bigger problem that I've got, is that the engine seems to do some 'pinking' when I accelerate. This happens when the engine is cold, too, and only occurrs when I'm under 2,000 rpms or so (my car's a petrol, not a diesel!). Virtually as soon as the engine gets up to running temperature, the sound goes away, and the car seems a little more responsive.

A third problem, which isn't too commonly-occurring, is that I'll get an occasional 'squeal' from the engine, accompanied by a dramatic drop in power, for about a second.

I suspect that all of these problems are to do with the timing belt, as (with my VERY limited car knowledge) I think the timing being off being linked to pinking (incomplete combustion and the like). My car's just hit 89k, and I'm not sure when the cambelt was changed, but I'd like to go as far as possible without splashing out the hefty bill to have it replaced if it was replaced recently - I know this is incredibly stupid, but whilst I build up the funds to replace it, I guess it will have to do.

Many thanks, guys!

-Oli