ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Problem

Black Clio 182
i was in my mates 1.4 clio last night and we started to smell a toasty smell. when we got out the car we noticed it was coming from his engine, we popped the bonnet and tried to find where the smell was coming from. was pretty funny and we were just sniffing different parts of his engine bay. we found out that it was coming from behind his engine. i think it might be his clutch but not sure what it could be.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
my ignition coils smell when they melt and thats under a plastic engine cover, i guess if u have one of them, it would smeel near the throttle body.

Saphire Cosworth
alright paul - how's things ??

The clutch has a really destinctive smell when it slipps - that should be smellable towards the passenger side of the engine bay !! Was he nailing it ?? - could it have been hot brakes ??

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
also mud.

when i get mud in my car it smells awful or even grass!! but then im the only one who goes off roading in a clio.

The clutch and gearbox are at the side of the engine on the passengers side.
Check all the level ie brake coolent etc. You might have hit some water or something.

Black Clio 182
nah he wasnt ragging it. it might have been the breaks but i doubt it. the smell was coming from the passenger side of the engine and it smelt its worse just behind the engine in the engine bay between the engine and the car. he ran over a rabbit by mistake so i suppose part of that might of got thrown into the engine bay area but i cant see it being that either.

his water levels were fine and so was the oil, we check all them.

was just funny as it was about 2:30am and we were parked in a garage sniffing parts of his engine. i thought the smell was coming from the battery at first but then i realised it wasnt it was further back and more to the center.

hmmmm wonder what it could be.....

Black Clio 182
i dunno mate, i still think its the clutch on his car, its done 70,000 so i reckon it could be nearing a new clutch

MERCEDES CLS AMG
I sometimes fry an egg on the way to work on my rocker cover and i get an eggy smell - ive tried toast but it kept slippin off the top.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my clutch didnt go untill 117,000 all depends how you drive it though mine had been drivin like a fairy before i got it.

could be the catalytic convertor mate smells like eggs? lol

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Sorry for the vauge necro-post, but this seemed like a fairly relevant thread :D

Both a friend and I have Clios (Mine is a new 1.2 16v, his a 1.4, but a few years older), and they both make an odd eggy smell now and then, normally after stopping the car (or maybe that's only when it's noticed!). It seems to come in general after periods of slightly... harder ....driving, and I was just wondering if it was problematic in any way?

Cheers!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its deffo the clutch, the reason why you smell it more on the rear of the engine is because the bell housing is slightly open at the back (to let water out i think) so the smell comes up the rear left of the engine. mine does it alot if iv been drivin up big devon hills, and its a new clutch...you'd know if it was heaters, the car would probably be broken by now if it was....