ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine revving up at idle

MK1 Clio 1.4
For the last week or so i have been having a problem where my '96 clio 1.2 (d7f) will gradually rev up at idle after roughly 5 minutes of driving, there is no up and down just up. the engine revs so loud i shut it off as this often happens when in traffic.

After waiting about 10 mins i start the car again (it struggles but as i pump the accelerator it comes to life). Engine performance is then fine for the remainder of the day. Come tomorrow the same will happen again, 1 breakdown then drive fine all day.

However when i pull over somewhere quiet i simply let it do its business with me revving it too to interupt it, it eventually calms down after a couple mins and resumes driving fine.

So i took it to a mechanic and he initially said it was the crank sensor, new one fitted - check

Result: still happens.

I went back to him, he told me that it is now most likely the idle control valve, i couldn't find one on its own so i bought a whole new throttle body including new sensors from a mk2 d7f engine clio, i managed to fit the part correctly with no problems.

However the fault still occurs.

On one hand i am impressed as throttle response and acceleration smoothness has vastly improved, old throttle feel was quite notchy and loose.

The fault still occurs however, i have been advised by my brother who experienced a similar problem on his saxo, he said the fault lied with the lambda sensor, i am yet to have this inspected.

When i listen to the engine at idle i can hear a fair amount of hissing as if there is an air leak from somewhere, not further inspected however.

Can somebody help me? so far only spent £34 on the car since this problem and dont wanna spend much more as i want a new car anyway but need it to not keep breaking down on me like this while i save up towards new car.

Many thanks for any responses :D

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Pop it in and we'll take a look. We're in Long Eaton

Diamondmotors.co.uk