ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine stalling when cold

Can anyone help with this problem?

Whenever it is cold (below 2 C) and I start my car it starts fine as normal, idles at ~1100 rpm as normal, but as soon as I try and drive off the engine starts to cough and splutter and idles at ~500 rpm (if it doesnt stall). It does this about 3 or 4 times before it runs normally. Renault tell me its normal, something to do with reducing emisions and that they wont do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this (idle valve?) and any thing I can do to sort it?

Its a 2001 1.4 16v K4J engine.

Thanks for any help.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sounds like petrol injection reprogramming reqs carrying out or it has a faulty motorised throttle body.

Thanks for that info JAY172, I will try and get my dealer to do something about it now.

I dont suppose there is a reference no. for the reprogramming notes - it would be useful to give it to my dealer as they are probably to incompetent to find it themelves.

A slow one :-(

Mine used to do that until it didnt actually idle at all which was quite tricky when changing gear! It turned out to be a cracked throttle body!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by CraigM on 01 January 2004

Thanks for that info JAY172, I will try and get my dealer to do something about it now.

I dont suppose there is a reference no. for the reprogramming notes - it would be useful to give it to my dealer as they are probably to incompetent to find it themelves.
there are quite a few notes and solutions on renault net.every dealer has access to renault net and has the index of tech notes.which note is applicable depends on certain vehicle details and displayed fault codes.best get your dealer to check.