ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Noise When Engine Is Warm

Clio II
Hi, first of all i am sorry my english is not good. I have a Renault Clio II K4J. Everything is fine when the engine is cold. but when it starts to warm up, there is a rattling sound from inside the engine. I think it comes from the top of the engine, where the camshafts are. In the sound recording I made, I started the engine when it was cold. You can hear the sound when it starts to heat up. there is no sound coming into the car in motion. a sound that can only be heard at idle and in the 1000-1750 rpm range. Why do you think this sound is coming?

Attachments

• 19 Eyl 21.39_ö.mp3
    3 MB
  Mini Cooper S R53
Without sounding condescending, can you rule out the obvious and confirm the oil level is ok? if so, do you know about its history and when it last had an oil change.

It is obviously quite hard to diagnose with just a sound clip. But lets start with the basics first.

Clio II
Without sounding condescending, can you rule out the obvious and confirm the oil level is ok? if so, do you know about its history and when it last had an oil change.

It is obviously quite hard to diagnose with just a sound clip. But lets start with the basics first.
I changed the engine oil 7000km ago with Motul 6100 and Liqui Moly Mos2 additive. The previous oil change was with Shell Helix 10w40. I will change the oil again in 1 month and for this I bought Liqui Moly 10w40 Super Leichtlauf (Super synthetic). Everything is fine with my oil level and I check it often. Also, at my next oil change, I will disassemble the oil pan to replace the oil pan gasket. this way i will see if there is anything blocking the oil pump strainer.

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_225738.jpg
    IMG_20221117_225738.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S R53
Yeah sounds like you are all over that then.

checking the oil strainer sounds like a sensible idea, although I am wondering if the oil pressure was low then this could throw up an oil light warning?....maybe not? I am not to familiar with the warning lights and electrics on a Clio II. I am hoping someone else on hear can answer that one?

What about timing and cambelt changes, has this been carried out recently? whats the history there? or have you got any fancy fast road cam with a Vernier pulley on it?

Clio II
The oil indicator light turns off when I start the car. I did not measure the oil pressure. All belts have been changed recently. I showed my car to 2 very reliable mechanics. They said the sound was coming from the lifters. They said that if I use a thin oil it will be fine, but the oil seller also said that if I buy 5w40 or 5w30 oil, the engine will burn oil. I do not know what to do