ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine still moving even after new mounts?

53 Clio's & counting
iv fitted a new top mount,gearbox mount,lower box mount and fitted an uprated dogbone mount from hill power,and i have tried to adjust them as suggested on here,but still my engine feels as it is moving forwards and backwards on and off throttle,and if i accellerate in 1st gear and ger any tip of wheel slip/spin i get a very bad knocking noise? its more of a bang bang bang still the car grips ok,does also knock if i pull off fast from a juction for example? any ideas?

so to re cap iv fitted new:

top mount
gearbox upper and lower mounts
dog bone mount
also new top mounts and bearings

www.renparts.co.uk
you will always get movement its just the rubbish design of the mount and it not having a cable gear linkage that exaggerates it. As for the knocking, almost everyone gets it, although someone on here thought they had found a permanent cure. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

53 Clio's & counting
thats ok matey thank you for replying :) thing is thought the knocking is quite loud and really mucks up your launch,and effects general driving too,and surely it couldnt have been like this from new,i would have sent it right back to renault! lol

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Did it make any difference ? what size are the spacers ?
I also replaced all the mount but still the engine vibrates especially from cold for about 2 minutes.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
A renault technician told me that you can get knocking from the manifold on the sub-frame. I have new top mounts and low mileage (16k), and i get a knocking, but only on v.hard accelleration.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
they where 5 mm thick washers on the gearbox one you put it between the the mount and the battery tray thing. the top is the same stort of thing it just rasies it up a bit. 1*2 have not much clearance between manifold and subframe this doesnt help

TVR Cerbera
i used to get knocking with my 172 manifold, but the 182 one i've just fitted is a much better fit, seems more room around the manifold and hasn't knocked yet.

Daz

53 Clio's & counting
hmmm might be worth looking into,i have seen my fanimold is failrly close but i swear the noise is more front than that

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
my mk1 172 used to do the same thing so i removed the whole lot and squeezed the c shape part off the engine mount in the vice soon stoped it moving

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
arrghhhh dreadded knocking! mines doing it aswell! seems only since cambelt and brakes were done though! thing is the mounts look fine!!!

try loosing all the bolts that hold engine top mount to the frame,
then tilt the engine as far to the front of the car as it goes, then tighten everything back together

does help