ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Swap

Can anyone tell me if Im a dreamer or if anyone can put a 2.0 into a 51 plate 1.2 16v Dynamique!

Big engine transplants seem so easy for the vauxhall boys just wondered how hard? how much? and Who? could do it on mine!

I am going to loose waaay to much trading mine in for a 182 so thinking of other options!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Insurance will be higher than a straight 172/182 coz its a transplant.

I think it will be harder coz the 172/182 is a squeeze even for renault to do.

Its been discussed before in depth, and the cost to get the engine in etc. outways selling it then buying a 172.

Plus you wouldnt have the suspension, brakes, bodykit.......

The other problems are

The engine choice isnt as good as vauxhall

There more Vauxhalls out there so cheap engines and parts availiable

The Clio weighs more so needs more power for the same performance than a corsa or Nova

Load of vauxhall parts can be fitted to other models ie v6 brakes go on easy enough.

You could have an engine dropped into the car for about £1k but then you need an engine to go into it you could get a 1.6 16V (only 110hp) a 172 (could be expensive maybe 1k for the engine+box) or a GTT which would be the best best if reliablity isnt key importance. Tunning the GTT wil be cheaper than a 172 and more mods are availiable for less £/hp

If you want a fast car for the weekends driving why not get an old faster car depreciation will be minimal plus you can add it to your existing poliy for less than a 172 etc.

EDD

basically to do the conversion, you have to change most of the front end, just to get the engine fitted

as posted above, be better getting a 172 and making do with that

the 2.0 XET engine, is a far better engine that the F4R engine in the Clio, plus most vauxhall seem to use the same basic set-up with their cars making conversions easier to perform, still costs x amount in labour, but well worth it

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the engine would fit in but the cost of the parts you would need to change to get it running wouldnt make it worth your while.just buy a 172

Any ideas how much were talking?? Does anyone do the conversion anyway?? If I could sell the fecker I would cant afford to trade it in to my Renault dealer...offered my £1200 less than another garage on a 172. Would have gone for it but got warned cos it was an import and a dodgy garage..lol

Colin, as said above itd be too expensive to do (id reckon well over 1500 by the time youve sourced all the parts but then theres labour) so its not really worth it. If youre that despirate for more power then what about a 1.6 16v conversion? I dont know for sure but id suspect thatd be slightly easier/cheaper and could be tuning to near enough 172 bhp.....

Did you speak to alistair??