ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine tap noise final thoughts??

hi guys my engine is very tapetty more so definately when air con is turned on i am due to get the aux belt changed and idler will this be the problem? cheers many thanks

BMW M3
Sure its not the charcoal cannister thing ?

Mine was a bit rattley at certain revs until i got the aux belt done.... sorted it.

cheers buddy i think it is the aux belt and idler because the noise is worse once the air con is on!!! where is the cannister thing can it be emptied??? or does it need replacing..how much cheers buddy

BMW M3
The charcoal cannister noise is just the little cylinder tapping against its housing. Its job is to evaporate fuel vapours and is located behind the drivers front wheel arch, at the front. The noise comes in after maybe 40 seconds on idling when the engine is up to temp and i think you can get a new one for about £30.

Its not really a problem and only need replacing if it annoys you enough lol

OH, and the frequency of the noise increases with revs until about 2,800 where it goes away. Then takes another 40 secs or so on idle before it starts again.

Last edited:
cheers buddy yeah thats the noise i have mate even more so on idle when the air con button is on so hopefully its the aux belt and idler..fingers crossed anyway is there any way of checking the canister thing to see if it needs replacing cheers buddy

CB600FS
Yeah thought so, as Justin said its more than likely the charcoal canister ticking away, you should be able to feel it if you put your arm down from the top rattling about right at the top where the sensor plugs in.

The 1.2 and 2.0 can sound quite 'tappety' if its more engine sounding, worth doing an oil change with some fully synth if it is

cheers mate i have just had a fully synthetic oil change buddy and the car has full service history so dont think its the oil mate can you empty this canister thing!!!

CB600FS
Not 100% sure, its french plastic, so I'd say its a sealed unit, & for the sake of £20-30 for a new'un doubt its worth it only for it to reoccur 2 weeks later, atleast a new one should last a few years

Edde, Fred or Mike will know though I don't think you can.

CB600FS
20 Minutes or so. Its located infront of the o/s/f wheel, behind the plastic arch liner. In a nutshell, ignition off, jack/stands o/s/f wheel, wheel off, arch liner off, undo bolts holding it to chassis (2 or 3, 10/13mm or T20/30) unclip block plug (can do it from top, or threw(sp) the arch)

Bolt the new one on, some of these can come modified very slightly but will still go on, you may have to add/remove the bracket as need be, only the way they are held onto the car is changed.