ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Tapping Noise At Idle

R

rich[182]

Not from cold, but once engine warmed up when Im stood in traffic I get the sewing machine tappety tapping noise from engine, If I move off and then stop again it sometimes stops, It may even coincide with my radiator fan being on at same time but not sure, oil level spot on, oil changed at 12.4k now done 20k and was gonna change but Ill be having my 24k service shortly
Anyone else had this, would thought it would do it from cold tbh ?
Thanks

Sounds pretty normal to me - its the same as on my 172 and my old 16V and Williams. Ive grown to love these noises!

182 Spiced

me too - have had it for a while... going in garage this week?? its annoying and sounds v. WRONG!

wish me luck (fingers crossed) 13500 on the clock

172 cup TT

my 172 cup is in right now for this - engine apart at the moment to see what the noise is.. its the same as what you mentioned.. he believes it maybe a "cam runner".. i think thats what he said.. ill keep you posted...

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 10 May 2005

Sounds pretty normal to me - its the same as on my 172 and my old 16V and Williams. Ive grown to love these noises!
Phew, I was getting concerned at mine!

Sounds like a diesel from start up sometimes :confused: and then ticks on idle when warm!

V6

my car does this to sounds bit tappety at time from cold and if ive been on huge raggin session. when i had last serivce stoped doing it, well wasnt as loud lol

Ditto^^^^

It does sound horrible tho!

Slightly Random but, Ive got a mate who had a real bad prolem with his tappets on his Ford Crapi back in the 80s and hes been called Tappie ever since!

CLIO

Quote: Originally posted by LEWY on 11 May 2005

they all run a little lumpy - highly tuned you see
highly tuned???surely if they where highly tuned they would get more than 172 horses out of a 2.0l????maybe im wrong tho

My 1.2 does that, it may be the clutch release bearing clattering....

It does it wen its warm, if it still does it with the clutch depressed then its tappets.

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 11 May 2005

my 172 cup is in right now for this - engine apart at the moment to see what the noise is.. its the same as what you mentioned.. he believes it maybe a "cam runner".. i think thats what he said.. ill keep you posted...
UPDATE: erm :(http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=159683&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=159683&PagePosition=1

Cup 172

My car (172 CUP) seems to do this periodically once it has warmed through. It is a distant ticking/knocking noise at idle so probably is the tappets. Not a sound you want to be hearing, but until it starts getting worse or the engine goes bang im not too bothered!

Whatever it is it doesnt seem to affect the performance as the car is flying at the moment.

An orange one

yep, mine does this too, 1st time i noticed it while in the drive thru doesnt really bother me, my VTR used to do it as well