ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine ticking - new belt kits, cams & lifters

RSC 172
Thanks Fred. Danny what were you implying? I suspect that you are implying that if they were re-grinds this clearances would have changed?

Once I hear from danny I think I know which path to follow to resolve ticking. Thanks everyone. I'll post back when sorted.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Jaime, I see no problem with the cams themselves, so IMO you should not worry about them, either lifters or dephasers, but all point to the latter. I had no issue with my cams and they are MK1's which give rougher idle and they have been good, no noises or what so ever, not even extra ticking which can be expected from higher lift cams. By the way, did the lifters you put in are OEM's, if not probably that the problem, they could be not of the same quality? I would refit the OEM ones (new ones are expensive from the dealer) as many said they don't fail, my car was on 111,000 km when cams were fit and engine was/is in nick condition. My OEM cams had very small wearing signs, just the obvious color shades.

Actually my car had a very slightly knocking that was cured with the new cams, probably a tiny play between the cam cover and the cams. This was my experience anyway. Hope you get it sorted without to much $$$ involved

Last edited:
  RSC 172
Turns out my lifters I purchased are non-genuine. Certainly after getting a small pipe into the oil filler and listening it sounds pretty horrible in there. Seeking professional help now locally for 2nd opinion although I have pretty well exhausted my local help option already! lol.

Lionel Richie
do you know how much lifters cost from renault?

why did you change them in the first place? they don't go wrong

RSC 172
I was advised to by cam supplier as egnine has done 100 tho kms. I just thought advice was correct. I still have old ones. Can I reuse? I suspect they need to go back in the same positions?

I was quoted $1500 for 16 over er in South Aust!!! My lordy... Have been quoted 350 pound plus postage from UK. Can I get them cheaper?

The loacl guys quoted $540 for a dephaser pulley too.....

Lionel Richie
thats bizzare advice, 100K kms is nothing, try 150K MILES

its £166 for a dephaser over here whatever that translates to

i'd refit the old lifters, if they were quiet before then they'll still be quiet now, and chuck a dephaser pulley on it

RSC 172
Mmm I like your advice :) 166 pound is about $260 which is a nice price.

Are you sure putting old ones back in won't be an issue if they go in differing locations to where they were located before?

Lionel Richie
i've done it before, never had a problem, they all get the same oil pressure, can't see it being an issue

i reckon it'll be about £200-£220 all in to ship a dephaser out there, hum i should start selling stuff to Aus!

RSC 172
Or just to Mase. He seems to want lots of things, lol

Ha ha ha..very funny :) Yes he does doesn't he.

Yes perhaps you should? Join OZ Renault Sport website as a 'commercial' and away you go. Fee's are stuff all..just a few dollars from memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Renaultsport Clio 172
Mase, just by hearing your videos and having second thoughts, your problem I would say are the lifters you put it, not even the dephaser, the lifters do TIC, TIC,TIC, TIC,TIC, TIC,TIC, TIC, whereas a dephaser goes like TAC, TAC, TAC,TAC, TAC, TAC,TAC, TAC, TAC, which isn't your case, if you have served your engine well the dephaser should be OK, although if you are reopening the cam cover then would be wise to change both, although I would not change it TBH, it simply can't fail just by removing it for an hour or so. My two cents only though.

Last edited:
  RSC 172
Yep tic tic tic..only when engine hot - when cold just the smallest discernable tic. No tac tac. I have realised my mech didn't tension down the cam cover in the correct sequence either. I had a very bad day.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Looks like you know what to do now pal, let us know, also share me your results after Henk is done with the mapping, I have to tell you I recently added the V6 box with the race filter that Tom offers here and oh! very nice, the delivery is smoother and a bot more linear, the dip between 3200 and 4000 is now less noticable and top end pulls better. In my opinion is worth it mate.

RSC 172
OK sorted :) Was a few lifters went south perhaps due to incorrect install method first time around. Refitted the originals following correct procedure and it's all good. I am one relieved guy.

Many thanks to everyone here who helped me out. It's all about community and you all lived up to that! Cheers.

Regards - Mase

RSC 172
Did first data logs today and will send off later. AFR's are very rich currently into the low 12's and high 11's. I suspect Henk loaded me up with a safe base map to start from. I'll keep in touch.

2005 Clio 182
Looks like you know what to do now pal, let us know, also share me your results after Henk is done with the mapping, I have to tell you I recently added the V6 box with the race filter that Tom offers here and oh! very nice, the delivery is smoother and a bot more linear, the dip between 3200 and 4000 is now less noticable and top end pulls better. In my opinion is worth it mate.

Tom, Ars you still offering this? Can somebody tag him please thank you

renault sandero k4m
I have a problem with you. In Motor Renault k4m 1.6, the engine makes noise when the car is stationary, but when the engine speed goes up, there is no sound. I am sending you a clip of this noise. Please help me.😭😭