ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine whines when revved.

Hi guys. When i bought my clio 172 i was aware of a whining noise coming from the car when it was revved. The noise goes away above 5,000 rpm below that its constant unless at idle. Does anyone know what this could be? I dont have any service history but the car is in otherwise good condition and is currently just over 93k.

Cheers.

Cheers for the responses so far i managed to get a quick video.
th_P1150366_zps4ab5c580.jpg

Megane dci 130
Lol at some of the comments in here! How can a dephaser cause a whine?!

It will be the lower aux belt idler. Quite prone to getting wet as its quite low down. Then the bearings get noisy.

Cheers for the input guys Iv just had the belts etc replaced but the noise is still there :(.

monaco 172
who did the belts?

Did they not do the aux belt kit aswel?

​If it is the lower idler and they didnt change the kit that would explain why its still whining.. (if it is the idler anyway)

S4 Avant
Some of the replies in this thread are hilarious.

It could be any number of bearings or pulleys, no one on the Internet can categorically tell you what it will be.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
that sounds like mine does currently. I'm going to try and have the bearings replaced tomorrow. With a screwdriver on the alternator and my ear on the screwdriver I can hear that noise incredibly loudly.