ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine won't start...?

2003 Cup 172
My 2003 172 Cup has been on my driveway for a good few months now (maybe 4?) and I stupidly haven't touched it or taken it for a drive or even let it tick over for a bit as I haven't got around to getting it sorted (interior all put back in) to sell it. It's all done now and the battery is fully charged, but when I turned the key for the first few times the starter motor (i'm guessing?) attempted to chug for a split second and then stopped. Now when I turn the key nothing happens, just the usual click from the relay and nothing else.

All interior lights work, alarm seems to be working fine, central locking seems fine.

Not massively electrically-minded so not sure what would cause this. Could something be seized up and it blown something? Is it likely to just be a loose cable somewhere?

Any ideas please?

Cheers

2003 Cup 172
Update - I just tried my spare key (wondering if it has some kind magical powers that the other key didn't have) and weirdly it does something different. When I turn the key there's lots of frantic clicking and flashing of the lights on the dash and the bit and bobs (as well as the general hum of electrics and things whirring) seems to go on and off in the same timing as the alarm would be, if it were going off, which it wasn't.

Could this be some kind of immobiliser / key programming issue? If so, is it something I can fix myself with the car stuck on the driveway?

Cheers

2003 Cup 172
Another one - when I unlock the car the immobiliser light (is this the red light on the dash?) remains flashing, but does turn off when I put the key in the ignition.

focus st3
when the battery and alternator was playing up on my 182 it was doing something similar,you have tried jumping it i presume.my golf pulled similar stunts in the winter when the battery was on its way out.

2003 Cup 172
After doing a bit of digging I can see this is quite a common problem on here (I did check before I posted but wasn't sure what to search for to check the forum).

I tried jump-starting it from my other car initially as the battery was dead, was kind of odd as the jump cables twitched massively when I tried to turn the engine over (never noticed before when jumping if this is normal or not). Obviously it didn't work.

I can see all the comments on the other threads about earth straps, UCH, ECU, key programming etc etc., but as the battery was totally dead and has been dead for quite a long time, I'm going to attack that first and pick up a new one tomorrow after work. I did take it out and charge it up for a few hours on my charger, which at the end it did read 12V across the points, so figured it would be fine then, but it would be worth doing that first as it seems likely it could be that given it's inactivity in the last 4 months or so.

All very annoying as all i'm doing it taking it for a spin so I can sell it. Arg.

2003 Cup 172
Just tried a couple little tricks that were mentioned (press button while turning the key, leave in the ignition for 30 seconds, tapping my head while kissing the key and clicking my heels together three times) and nothing happened. Then I turned the headlights on! Dash lights turned off, then back on, horrible clicking kind of noise while the lights were on etc etc. Basically all bad.

So given that the headlights made things go all kinds of wrong, presumably anything to do with the ECU / UCH could be ruled out? (only initially though, it could ALSO be those things, but presumably it's just a general electrical issue).

Could a knackered battery do all this?

2003 Cup 172
your hat is safe, it was the battery. Plugged it all in, barely touched the key in the ignition and started like a dream and idled perfectly, pretty good considering it hasn't ticked over in at least 4 months. Strong little motor! Now just need to sell it!