ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EOS 350D Gone... Need a replacement.

Clio 197
What really used to bug me about it:

1) Dirty sensor required it to be sent-off for cleaning.

2) Only 3 FPS (I'd like more).

3) I'd possibly like an ISO 3200 to play with.

I happen to have a canon zoom already (which I'm willing to sell I suppose), so what are the recommendations?

Oms x

Silver 172 PhII

It's a fact of owning a DSLR that the sensor will get some dirt on it at some point. It's no big deal - I got a rocket air blower thingy and it gets most of the muck off my sensor. There is also loads of stuff on the web about how to clean sensors. Just how dirty was your sensor to require it being sent off?!?!

Anyway, as for a camera that fits your needs, try a 30D, if you still have your lenses. I've got a 10D and even though it's now 3 generations old, I still prefer it to the 400D which I find just too small and not well built enough - the 10/20/30D series of cameras are built like tanks. I've used a 30D it has a decent frame rate and quite good high ISO so would probably fit your needs. Another alternative is the Nikon D200.

Last edited:
30D. I want one :(

5FPS
9 Focus points which are more accurate.
Spot Metering
3200 ISO I believe...

As for dust, a medium or large giotto rocket blower will sort that out.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I'd go with the 30D but Oms did you not sell your 350D because you were totally broke? Confused.com

106 GTi
I would go for the 30D aswell, as said when changing lens, getting some dust on the sensor is going to happen how ever carefull you are.

Rally bus

It's a fact of owning a DSLR that the sensor will get some dirt on it at some point. It's no big deal - I got a rocket air blower thingy and it gets most of the muck off my sensor. There is also loads of stuff on the web about how to clean sensors. Just how dirty was your sensor to require it being sent off?!?!

I used Eclipse fluid (£7 bottle has lasted me 3 years) and PEC pads (100 for £5.99) attached to a plastic spatula. A very easy job, just use the mirror lock up facility... cheaper than paying a camera shop, I don't know about Canon but Nikon charge something like £30 and it takes about 30 seconds :S I don't use a blower brush as that just blows dust off the sensor i.e. it is still inside the camera so could appear again. Static brushes are supposed to be good but expensive.

Camera recommendations... buy a Nikon ;)

Clio 197
I'd go with the 30D but Oms did you not sell your 350D because you were totally broke? Confused.com

Originally, yes.

I've got a new contract along with an armoured vehicle), so I took it off the market.

Someone who was previously interested offered me good money for it, so I got rid (with the aim to upgrade).

I've got some money coming soon... I want to spend some on L type lenses (sharpness required), and on a decent body.

From what I've read, the 5D has quite a good sensor... only it demands good lenses. The cost will end-up close to 3K if I go down that route.

It all needs to be quite sharp, because it's for A2 gallery work (hence considering a 12MP camera). The kit I had was only good enough for A3 really.

I'll be doing some Astrophotography with the Meade telescope too. Although it has a tracking device, I've found that longer exposures have a lot of noise. I want to try some stuff at ISO 1600/3200 and see what I get. Max pixels are required for some large enlargements.

OH, and A2 means that I'll need a new printer too! :S

Last edited:
  Clio 197
PM me if you want to sell the lens :)

Cheers

Hiya,

I've only just spotted your message! :)

It's a tamron 28-300 Aspherical XR lens.

It has a VERY broad range of zoom, so it's an excellent walkabout lens (only not the sharpest, for obvious reasons).

It's boxed as new, originally £250 ish (prices may have come down a bit) so I'm after £125.

Have a think and PM me when you're ready. :approve:

Kind regards,

Oms.

Nikon D200? Magnesium Alloy, 5fps, 10.2MP, ISO3200, 11 point AF ;)

Bomb-proof camera, I know I'm biased towards Nikon but it is at least worth considering, some very special Nikkor lenses out there at fairly reasonable prices, including some of the best primes money can buy.

...and my favourite party trick (my D50 does this as well...), hold down the shutter release whilst the camera is off, then turn it on. The quickest power up/shot taken you will ever see, the reviews I've read couldn't even time it! Very very useful for getting those moments that happen in an instant.

Last edited:
  Clio 197
3200, s**t quality!

True... when we have silly megapixels in the future, there's a good possibility that it'll look half decent.

I'd like the option... wheras I didn't previously.

Hmm... 12MP could be good, so you know anyone who's got a 5D ?