ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS and castor problems. steering quite unpredictable

dan's cast offs.
tried the rack on it's own? pop ends off the hubs and the bottom uj and see what it feels like.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Ilya, have you checked there's no slack in the DCi rack? My Epas has been absolutely spot on. No problem returning to centre. But I'm running with a looped HPAS rack at the moment. Still haven't fitted my DCi rack.

I have. There is no play as far as I can tell. (Wiggling wheel lock to lock.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
tried the rack on it's own? pop ends off the hubs and the bottom uj and see what it feels like.

Didn’t go that far yet. Really don’t want to undo suspension components as it’s been fully set up. I guess I am gonna have to if I wanna get to the bottom of it

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
you've only got to pop the ends off the hubs, geometry will be fine.

Suppose you right. Will do tommorow.
There is tension screw on the rack itself. Right at bottom. When I was rebuilding the rack, I might have tightened it a bit to much. I tried today to adjust it. Screwed all the way in and was almost imposible to turn wheels side to side by hand. Than I unscrewed it out and it became much much lighter. So adjusted it to somewhere in the middle. Wondering if this been having negative effect as well?

172 Cup
Good news is that it does indeed separate (at least the non EPAs) the question remains, which way do I rotate? Hmm

Good stuff! Which way to rotate it.. well that's not an answer I can really give you without being there looking at it! BUT.. if you follow the setup in my long post that should hopefully be enough to guide you. The three pics show what you're looking to get to.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Good stuff! Which way to rotate it.. well that's not an answer I can really give you without being there looking at it! BUT.. if you follow the setup in my long post that should hopefully be enough to guide you. The three pics show what you're looking to get to.

The main problem is the lover UJ. It almost has no angle in it. Hard to see. But I guess it’s a 50/50 chance I go the right way haha. Will try do 3-4 notches see what it does. Thank buddy!

172 Cup
First things first, start by getting the handwheel and the rack centralised.

Then fit the upper UJ in-plane with the EPAS motor output and the intermediate shaft as per the pics I sent.

Then fit the lower UJ in-plane with the inter shaft and the rack input as per the pics - I appreciate this could be tricky due to the shallow angle!

That should at least get your steering response symmetrical left to right, but fingers crossed it sorts the dead on-centre feel out for you too!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Yes and no :)
Checked the rack no play at all!
Moved the UJ by 1 spline. It’s a b**ch to adjust so not gonna bother.
It’s absolutely fine on the track. I am happy with it. On the road its wierd. But than again, I don’t drive it daily. It’s not gonna bother me. Increasing castor fixed the issue 90%. The rest.. well f**k it! #becauseracecar

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Ditch the EPAS, stick your original column back in, and drive it with the DCI rack, full non assitsted. [emoji6]

I have it off on track occasionally. But I am a big girl and need assistance at slow speeds ?