ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS Conversion question

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Guys I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a definite answer.

So I'm looking at doing an EPAS conversion but the difference for me is I'm currently re shelling a 182 into my DCi van so it's currently running the full DCi EPAS.

I'm going to run the pure Motorsport kit on the engine to remove the pump as well as the air con compressor but my understanding is people continue to run the 182 rack just Tapped off?

Should I use the 182 rack in this method or should I just leave the dci rack and run 182 rods and rod ends?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I would use the 182 subframe and fit your dci rack to it.
People only use the Renault sport rack because it's cheaper to put a link pipe in than buy the rack and epas column

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I would use the 182 subframe and fit your dci rack to it.
People only use the Renault sport rack because it's cheaper to put a link pipe in than buy the rack and epas column
the racks are the same anyway I just need to drill a hole for the 4th mount, the 182 is a cat c write off that's been poorly repaired so id rather stick with my subframe that I know is good and straight, that was my reasoning :)

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I maybe wrong but I thought the R.S. subframes were wider track.

Also the Epas racks a different from the Pas ones. Theres no resistance moving the Epas ones because there's no piston inside moving oil through the pipes.
It's just a greased up rack and pinion

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Also the Epas rack bolts on with solid mounts an the R.S. ones are on rubber bushes
20190310_144036.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ah good to know about the rack cheers, at least theres no rack bushes to worry about then!

na subframes are identical the wider track and extra castor just comes from the arms (apparently!) I found an old thread comparing subframes and they were identical

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
Sorry to dig this up.
But what is the advantage of running EPAS over Hydraulic PS?

Surely you get more feel with hydraulic?

Pez

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Sorry to dig this up.
But what is the advantage of running EPAS over Hydraulic PS?

Surely you get more feel with hydraulic?

Pez

Eliminates chances of fluid leaks which is a big plus point when it comes to track days and motorsport

Frees up space in engine bay and allows subframe to be dropped without the worry of hoses restricting you

For me it was the ease of maintenance that made me go for epas

Resistance can be adjusted for those who want heavier steering on track but retain manouverability in pits / workshop etc by lightening the feel

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
quicker rack
less weight
less power zapped from engine
ease of maintenance (I can get my engine out in no time now with no PAS and aircon to worry about.

now the cars are getting older they are prone to cracked pipes causing leaks, pumps failing and as said above no fluid is an advantage for a track day where a loss of fluid can be dangerous

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
An example of why it's better.

With EPAS if you wanted to drop the sub frame all you need to do regarding the rack is undo 1 pinch bolt at the bottom of the column and you are free to go.
With PAS you have to struggle like hell to try and undo the high and low pressure pipes with 0 space. Once they are loose you piss oil all over the place because you cant direct the oil anywhere.
With out, you free up loads of room at the front of the engine where the pump was, theres no common oil pipe leaks dripping oil all over your bay. No common PAS oil overheating on track and potentially causing a fire risk spraying all over your red hot engine.
No fluid to change, no servicing.
It also reduces alot of weight of the pump,pipes,reservoir and oil.

You basically have this....
20190310_151240.jpg

A rack and a column with a motor attached.
20190615_161745.jpg

Simples.

If you are thinking about doing it, just get on with it you wont regret it.

2 ways to do it.

Use the Sport rack with a link pipe and blanked off ports. Half fill with fresh pas oil and then forget about it.

Or, use the full DCI setup to include the DCI EPAS rack and column with Sport inner tie rods and track rod ends.

There is an EPAS rack which is a longer rack and one which is shorter, ideally you want the shorter one.
Think @YorkshireKyle has the info on which vehicle has the right one.

The End

RSPez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RB 182
An example of why it's better.

With EPAS if you wanted to drop the sub frame all you need to do regarding the rack is undo 1 pinch bolt at the bottom of the column and you are free to go.
With PAS you have to struggle like hell to try and undo the high and low pressure pipes with 0 space. Once they are loose you piss oil all over the place because you cant direct the oil anywhere.
With out, you free up loads of room at the front of the engine where the pump was, theres no common oil pipe leaks dripping oil all over your bay. No common PAS oil overheating on track and potentially causing a fire risk spraying all over your red hot engine.
No fluid to change, no servicing.
It also reduces alot of weight of the pump,pipes,reservoir and oil.

You basically have this....
View attachment 1450293
A rack and a column with a motor attached.
View attachment 1450296

Simples.

If you are thinking about doing it, just get on with it you wont regret it.

2 ways to do it.

Use the Sport rack with a link pipe and blanked off ports. Half fill with fresh pas oil and then forget about it.

Or, use the full DCI setup to include the DCI EPAS rack and column with Sport inner tie rods and track rod ends.

There is an EPAS rack which is a longer rack and one which is shorter, ideally you want the shorter one.
Think @YorkshireKyle has the info on which vehicle has the right one.

The End

This was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Maybe at some point this year I will look at it properly.
Would you do it to a road car as well that was the one question I forgot to ask?

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Pez

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
As @1985michael182 says, you free up so much room in the bay! The safety side of it outweighs the feeling HPAS gives

The dCi racks are all the same. The 1.2/1.4/1.6 16v have more lock to lock but look the same pretty much which is where some people go wrong. I'm sure the dCi is 2.25 lock to lock, the petrol non sport are 2.5 and the 1*2 is 2.8

20191229_144251.jpg

dCi racks are fine for track unless you're running slicks then you might want to beef up the mounts by welding on some gussets to stop rack flex. And the EPAS columns are slight weaker on the UJ's

I've left the 172 manual column in and stuck a dCi rack on mine. The car weighs barely anything so unless you're built like a racing snake you should be fine

Clio 182
Hi guys, I am in the middle of the EPAS conversion and I have fitted the column but when I come to the rack it is mounted different. Can you advise please ?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
The rack and the column will only mate one way as there is a notch for the bolt to pass through. Make sure your rack is centred so not steering left or right.

Clio 182
If you've got a dCi rack then they bolt up differently

They dont have bushes and bolt directly to the subframe
Yes thats what I was struggling with, just found a picture that shows the mounts for the hydraulic rack removed and the DCI rack bolted onto the subframe. Do I have to swap over the Tie Rods to get the length ?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
It's usually like a 50/60amp fuse. You want your cable to be higher rated for ampage than your fuse.

So for example 8.5 mm cable is rated for 63amps with your weak point being your fuse at 60amps
Screenshot_20200419-093531_Samsung Internet.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Just a bump for this, ive been pulling my hair out!

so left the DCI rack in place, its not been removed. Fitted brand new genuine Renault inner track rods and rod ends both from a 182.

if I centre the rack, the steering wheel is way out from centred, if I centre it either clockwise or anti clockwise then the rack isn't centred and I get more lock one way than the other.

what am I missing? has the car possibly had a new rack at some point and someone has fitted the pinch bolt 180 degree out!? if that's even possible.

I've been lying under it as I cant get access to a ramp for it currently so I'm pulling my hair out!

its got a genuine Renault SMI rack and im getting 2.75 turns lock to lock