ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS issue. Light in centre, play in column.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Morning chaps.
Got a niggling issue with the EPAS on my track car which I want to get sorted before booking any track time.
The steering in the centre is extremely light and twitchy no matter which setting I put the EPAS on. After this light centre bit the resistance appears to be normal (for which ever EPAS setting it is on). Going past the over assisted section is uncommon when driving on normal roads.

I've swapped the column and rack (from original to DCI) which hasn't changed the problem although maybe two diff columns (I'm skeptical of this). There's a knocking sound when you suddenly move the steering wheel. There is also what appears to be play in the top motored section. I can move the wheel a bit but this doesn't move the splined section going to the UJ. This is shown in the video. When the EPAS is off I can also feel the knock a little bit when cornering although this can only be felt on track because of the smooth tarmac.

Is there a joint in the top section of the EPAS column where the red arrow points. I've included pics of the motor part of my old column to help diagnosis.

TIA, G

1EE0CDF6-8A05-441B-84C5-6F3FB281A104_zpsccga1tyn.jpg
B9C6C6F4-ECCA-4A02-BFFC-D90096A2852F_zpsvnicghzx.jpg
F856B802-9C9F-48BB-8E3F-BB64AA9BE585_zpswh3zgjff.jpg

Other than the Visable UJ I'm wondering if there is a join in this unit.
BB3DB0E1-5A63-4791-AB81-DE5DDF39C51B_zpshhwcuy5r.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's not the pressure sensor or old fluid is it?

Mine felt really weird when the sensor went.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I haven't no but I did swap to a different column and still have the same issue.