ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Esp !!!

turned it off today when blasting my car about on some country roads, and what a difference it makes, had my 182 4 months now and never turned it off, if you havent DO IT NOW, was so so so so much more fun.
lol dave.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
its is soo much better off but if u havent put it off before be careful lol.

well it was my first REAL time today as it was dry and was good fun made me smile lol.
wouldnt turn off in wet tho !

I dont think ive ever really turned it off that I can remember does it make lots of difference when accelerating hard? Or just when you throw it into a bend?
Rob.

LY V6 with Recaros
I've never turned mine off either, how differently does it handle with it off?

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
The only time I've turned it off was at Renault World Series, wanted to play on the grass! lol

I've always found ESP takes a slight edge off the dynamics. Even when the light isn't flashing. With ESP off I've found I have more power coming out of corners. I've also found lift off oversteer far more fun without the ESPs Intrsuive efforts to stop it.

Basically I have always felt the car is purer and faster with ESP off. I'm convinced it does things long before the 'light' starts blinking. I almost always turn it off every time I turn the key. Exceptions are when it's wet/greasy and/or I have no intentions of pushing hard.

exactly what i though, befour i never thought my 182 was that fun, dont get me wrong it was fun, but today with it off it changed imo, felt more edgey which is fun lol, felt more in control as well. i agree with roy tho i think its active even when the lights not on holding it back.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Roy Munson said:
I've always found ESP takes a slight edge off the dynamics. Even when the light isn't flashing. With ESP off I've found I have more power coming out of corners. I've also found lift off oversteer far more fun without the ESPs Intrsuive efforts to stop it.

Basically I have always felt the car is purer and faster with ESP off. I'm convinced it does things long before the 'light' starts blinking. I almost always turn it off every time I turn the key. Exceptions are when it's wet/greasy and/or I have no intentions of pushing hard.

i was just about to post something similair Roy, i tihkn it does do 'stuff' before the light starts flashing imo. when it is off the car feels very different and more alive.

williams 0013
what does it stand for
is it like traction control?
never owned a real modern car so i wouldnt fancy any gizmo taking over
power steering and pas brakes is the most iv had so far:eek:

182... again!
Electronic Stability Programme, have read what it does a few times and still not sure! Think it monitors the direction of the car in relation to the steering input and adjusts braking/power on individual wheels to keep the thing shiny side up...can of course turn it off!!

Abarth Grande Punto
ive never turned mine off, only had my 182 a month mind you! Might have to give it a go! Expect to see hosted pics of me motor in a hedge! lol :rasp:

LY V6 with Recaros
I would be a bit worried about turning it off, but then i've never had it on any of my other cars, so I'm sure I'd be ok :)

182... again!
FredYozzasport said:
you haven't lived then boyo!!!!!

Haha...shall try it turned off on the way to work in the morning...0630, so shall have the road to myself!

liquidized RacingBlue 182
turning it of does that mean the light is on in the dash or wen the light is out on the dash? lol for my stupid question lol

LY V6 with Recaros
one_eight_two said:
turning it of does that mean the light is on in the dash or wen the light is out on the dash? lol for my stupid question lol

Erm, if it's turned off then the light on the dash will be on, I think!

LY V6 with Recaros
^^ Yeah that must be right, coz the light goes out on my dash once the engines turned on, and I've never turned mine off.

ooooooooops!!! hahah i turn mine of all at the wrong times lol i thought by pushing the botton and haveing the icon lit on the dash it was on LOLOLOLOLOLOL DOH!!! haha

LY V6 with Recaros
Lol! I think that's right, but as I never touch the esp button, I don't really pay much attention.

ant

yep.
dont have it.......................not been close to a hedge.

nice drifts on roundabouts tho when you chuck it in ;)

80MPG BEEZA
i saw them testing the esp on tv cant remember what program, they made a guy go through this wave of cones at a certain speed the sudden left to right to left made the car skid out, they then did the same speed again with the esp on it skidded a little but managed to control it.

my car goes a little crazy when braking hard and turning ohhh the cars lifting wooooaahhh

williams 0013
Erm, if it's turned off then the light on the dash will be on, I think!
^^ Yeah that must be right, coz the light goes out on my dash once the engines turned on, and I've never turned mine off.
ooooooooops!!! hahah i turn mine of all at the wrong times lol i thought by pushing the botton and haveing the icon lit on the dash it was on LOLOLOLOLOLOL DOH!!! haha

BeSt threaD EVaR

An example of how ESP can be bad;

A few months back I had access to a huge carpark where I started dabbling in provoked lift off over steer. I was able to get some decent angles before the ESP quite voilently kicked in and almost snapped control out of hands. In some ways it seemed to unsettle the car, although that was probably just my interpretation - it certainly stopped the slide. Doing the same with ESP off was far more fun and I never came close to spinning the car. That's not to say I woudn't have, in a genuine non-provoked accident invoking situation though!

To clarify some of the above - yes, ESP is OFF when the warning triangle is illuminated. I often think it's mostly placebo, but other times I'm convinced it makes the car faster, most importantly coming out of tight corners where the steering angle seems to have some electronic hold over the power available. Probably only a programmer involved in the ESP software could confirm if this is true.

thanks roy, will be turning the esp more often then so much more fun with out and i thought it was turning on hahah and been safer aww well lots to learn

Golf GTI PP Mk7
the chap at renault told me that u cant fully disengage it on the 182 too tho. Apparently u can turn it off but if the car rekons ur gonna kiss an oak tree it'll automatically cut back in. He was saying how on the 197 when u turn it off, its off for good.

That must be why the 172 cups are the fastest :cool:

lol i never though my post would be this popular, thought loads of people would have done this on ther 182s.

i take no responsibilty for poeples actions in there cars

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
lewisniven said:
the chap at renault told me that u cant fully disengage it on the 182 too tho. Apparently u can turn it off but if the car rekons ur gonna kiss an oak tree it'll automatically cut back in. He was saying how on the 197 when u turn it off, its off for good.

That must be why the 172 cups are the fastest :cool:

That chap at renault you were talking to was talking out of his arse. It fully disengages on a 182.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
lol, was obviously just trying to sell me a 197, it sounded a bit rough at the time but i was eager to get behind the wheel, lol.