ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO magazine 184 July RS Clio 200 T versus the rest

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
These figs are from Evo weighing each car with a full tank and no driver on board, Renault's will be a dry weight with no fluids that's why it's lighter.

If everything is exactly as it should be, as we've been led to believe, there should only be 40kgs difference between the 200T and the ST.

Why is it over 100kgs different?

Did Ford over estimate the weight of the Fiesta and Evo have subsequently found out it's a true fly-weight...or, check this out, did Renault under estimate the weight of the Clio before they went to press?

I think the latter is more likely given what Evo have found out.

Yes but comparing apples with apples. Same scales, same requirements (full tank) same day, same unbiased people taking the readings.

the Clio is lacking behind in that area even though Renault claimed it to be no worse than the outgoing model.

Yep, it's a lardy car but it does look like a bigger car now to me, sort of in between the ST, 208 gti et all and the megane, VXr etc.

If everything is exactly as it should be, as we've been led to believe, there should only be 40kgs difference between the 200T and the ST.

100kg is a hell of a lot of extra weight to lug round what with the overboost of 15 secs on the ST pushing power to 197bhp, I can't wait to try the ST.
Could become weapon of choice.

If anyone picks up the magazine this month, make sure you read the Dean Stoneman interview as well as the Clio stuff. Amazing story, I thought I did pretty well when I was in hospital seriously ill last year with my recovery etc, but he is on another level entirely.

Awesome

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Did Ford over estimate the weight of the Fiesta and Evo have subsequently found out it's a true fly-weight...or, check this out, did Renault under estimate the weight of the Clio before they went to press?

history shows ford like to underestimate their cars potential too. Renault tend to overestimate everything

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
He never quoted anyone and it was after a Fiesta post hence the ?.

172 Cup

I suspect the dual clutch transmission contributes to the extra weight. After all, the engineers at Lexus/Toyota decided not to use one in order to save weight on the LFA

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Remember when Renault made he 172 cup? They have lost the PLot with this lard arse ugly hatch IMO. Shame.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I thought they lost the plot after the Williams - so much bigger, heavier, blah, blah. Take each car for what it is.

182 cup
Sorry guys ill try again, the Clio rs 200 t in the review did it have the cup chassis or was it just the sport version?

Suzuki Jimny
They lost the plot after the Voiturette iirc.

280px-RVoiturette.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well it was a bloody good read about all the cars. Would have liked a longer write up but got the points across.

As I said in regards to the genius of the Focus ST it was to become and all in one car. A car that can be used in Britain, America, Oz etc. They simply cannot afford to keep building cars without looking at things that way. It looks like they have really captured the same essence in the Fiesta.

Nice to see from a Ford fan pov. The cars are always brilliant in their own right but with a softspot for hot hatches i'm just glad they really put the effort into this ST.

Rally bus
Top Gear's group test is on the news stands today as well apparently, I'm sure it'll be more of the same.

Anyone seen a copy yet?

The Fiesta won again. It also won the CAR magazine group test. After having Renaults forever I changed to a Fiesta S1600 18 months ago and I think I'll be getting an ST next, my mate already has one and it's brilliant.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Megane 265 in two years for me,...
For now the 182 is still making me smile - every mile since getting it at 23k, now on 76k

Last edited:
  C63 AMG
Thinking of buying an ST? Best choice for a new hot hatch. But if you want the BEST hot hatch, buy a Clio Trophy. Who cares about mileage. Get a well looked after one for a third of the price with the same power, better seats, much MUCH better handling and far greater rarity. Put it this way: the best house on your street probably isn't the newest.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Seating position and wheel was a massive problem for me in the trophy. Megane isn't perfect, but its much improved.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Megane 265 in two years for me,...
For now the 182 is still making me smile - every mile since getting it at 23k, now on 76k

Mine on 153000 from new still makes me smile but I accept it's time for an upgrade after 8 years. The 200t may be a second slower than the ST/Clio 200 CUP on a lap (see auto express shoot out) but it's quicker to 60 then the competition and breaks in the shortest distance a full 7 metres shorter than the fiesta from 70mph. Not bad for the heaviest of the three cars on test considering it was also the Lux version (couldn't see if it had leather seats or not). Nice ride on the road 4 doors practicality (not every ones cup of tea).
Don't believe anyone has said the Clio is a bad car, just not as quick on a track as the 200 CUP........ can't wait to see the photos from those who have ordered one for delivery in July (mine ordered for September - unless they **** up the registration and yes I may be I the minority but I like the look of the car - so mines ordered in black with cup pack black alloys and fully loaded, full fat for want of a better phrase all options ticked bar euro mapping at a discounted price :D )

Clio 200
Fairly sure lap times are not the measure of a great road car. What's the point in making track heroes if no one is buying them?

Not many people buy a car based on lap times IMO.

Agree, but strange that the launch was firmly focused on the track day where the Cup version was unveiled and indeed was only allowed to be driven on the track.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Mine on 153000 from new still makes me smile but I accept it's time for an upgrade after 8 years. The 200t may be a second slower than the ST/Clio 200 CUP on a lap (see auto express shoot out) but it's quicker to 60 then the competition and breaks in the shortest distance a full 7 metres shorter than the fiesta from 70mph. Not bad for the heaviest of the three cars on test considering it was also the Lux version (couldn't see if it had leather seats or not). Nice ride on the road 4 doors practicality (not every ones cup of tea).
Don't believe anyone has said the Clio is a bad car, just not as quick on a track as the 200 CUP........ can't wait to see the photos from those who have ordered one for delivery in July (mine ordered for September - unless they **** up the registration and yes I may be I the minority but I like the look of the car - so mines ordered in black with cup pack black alloys and fully loaded, full fat for want of a better phrase all options ticked bar euro mapping at a discounted price :D )

I still don't know which colour I'd go for. LY or black for sure though.

I want one, however cant justify selling the 200 Cup after only 3 years of ownership from new. Will wait 1.5->2.5 years before I buy an EDC. Maybe by then some of the "short comings" will be ironed out by then.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thinking of buying an ST? Best choice for a new hot hatch. But if you want the BEST hot hatch, buy a Clio Trophy. Who cares about mileage. Get a well looked after one for a third of the price with the same power, better seats, much MUCH better handling and far greater rarity. Put it this way: the best house on your street probably isn't the newest.

You clearly haven't driven a 197 if you think a trophy is that amazing tbh.

Its just renault 5 suspension with some Sachs dampers. It works well but the 197 onwards setup is better.

I still prefer the mk2 personally as I just like it being a bit smaller and lighter. But its lunacy to say a mk2 handles much much better than a mk3 onwards. Its just not true at all.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300

Surely no one buys a hot hatch purely on evo lap times.. In real world they are both same performance wise.
The Clio has more tech and more doors and you pay for it.

I like the look of the Clio and would be going for flame red, seen a few standard clios on road in virtually all colours and flame stood out by far as the best.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Not interested in lap times but that seems to be the be all end all on here.
The keyboard heroes believe renault has lost the plot, I think they have come up with something fresh which a lot of people seem to disagree with even with the styling it does stand out from the standard car or are people so blinkered that they only look for flared wings. I'm looking for comfort with a bit punch when the mood suits. The standard car drives well so I have no doubts the RS will be just as good if not better. Roll on September.