ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evo Renaultsport 182 review

VaVa

Weve been here before, havent we? The big horsepower claim, the French hot hatch manufacturer, the high hopes, the marketing bad chat: but Peugeots bid for hot hatch greatness with the 206 GTi 180 ended in mild disappointment. Any chance things might go the same way with Renaults reply to the beefy Pug. the Clio 182? You might well have already guessed the answer, but lets find out if your right.

Lets get the bad news out of the way first, though. There isnt going to be a specific Cup version of the feistiest Clio, no stripped-out trackday special. But hold fire with the despair for now, because we reckon youre still going to end up liking this little Renault.

The cahnges to the 2004 Clio run a lot deeper than the 182 title suggests. The motor is indeed up on power compared with the outgoing model (the new output is 182ps, which is 179bhp, at 6500rpm), but thats not just down to a bit of judicious chipping. Much of the horsepower hike is due to an extensively revised exhaust system. The 172 used a four into one manifold whilst the 182 employs a 4-2-1 system that improves gas flow. Further down the system, theres a revised metallic catalyst that improves matters further, and the twin tailpipes now emerge with a bit of a gap between them, mimicking those of the Clio V6.

The 182s chassis is similarily more extensively changed than youd expect. Its wheelbase is slightly longer than the 172s and it also has a wider track. The wheelbase change has come about because of increased castor angle, which is now the same as the Clio Cup racecars. The rear anti-roll bar is now stiffer and even the suspension mountings have been strengthened to cope with the additional cornering loads. All of which gives a big hint about this cars focus. Springs and dampers have also been reworked.Spring rates are up 10 per cent, whilst dampers are stiffer in compression, softer in rebound - the thinking behind the softer rebound is undoubtedly to improve traction. This attention to mechanical detail is a revelation in an age when many makers resort to electronics to hold a flaky chassistogether.

Now heres the rub. For the Clio 182 you really want, Renault asks you to hand over an extra 200 notes for the Cup chassis option. Its a form of blackmail because if you buy a 182 without it youll regret it. The option involves a 3mm lower ride height, spring rates up a further 20 per cent at the front and 15 per cent at the rear, and even tricker Michelins.

Michelin rubber has become a key component in the performance of many recent mode\s, aWnougYni doeswre downsides; standing water, for instance, in the case of the M3 CSL and cold weather problems on Porsches Carrera GT. The new Michelin Exalto 2s on the Clio 182, however, are useable all day, every day, allowing the potential of the chassis to be fully exploited, for longer. The combination of the Exalto 2 and the optional Cup chassis is an absolute killer. The headline figures dont do it justice. The 179bhp motor, a 0-60mph of 7.1sec and a 139mph maximum arent shabby, but youll not conquer the Civic Type-R or Focus RS in a bar-room contest. Meet one of them out on the road and itll be an entirely different story...

Chassis details aside, one fundamental advantage the Clio has over all credible opposition is that its significantly lighter. At 1080kg its 120kg less weighty than the Civic and undercuts the Focus RS by the best part of 200kg.

Balance-wise the chassis is on the ever-so-slightly-nervous side of neutral. Its relatively light weight and the Michelin tyres mean this Clio changes direction better than any front-wheel-drive car Ive ever driven. It adopts that super-aggressive, tarmac-rally-car, flat-cornering patter - bodyroll is virtually non-existent. The brakes have a feel and ability that teaches every other manufacturer, bar Porsche, a lesson in how to stop a car. I had the pads on fire, literally, and yet the brakes refused to fade.

The speed the 182 can carry into a corner is simply phenomenal for a road car, but the ability to drive at this level comes at a price; any driver error now happens at higher velocities than before. Its not that the Clio wants to bite you, its just that it doesnt suffer fools and you cant feed it mixed messages - once youre committed to a corner, its best you stay committed.

Despite that slight caveat, Renault has created a driving tool thats everything we all wanted the Peugeot 206 GTI 180 to be. If youre building a hot hatch, this is the new benchmark. Ford and Vauxhall, dont say you havent been warned! Renault is the new king of asphalt.

In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - Ithink its the best hot hatch ever built.

PhilBennett

SPECIFICATION

Engine

4-cyl, 1998cc,16»

Max power

179bhp@65DOrpm

Max torque

148lbft@5250rpm

Top speed

139mph [claimed]

0-62mph

7.1sec Iclaimed]

Price

£14,613

On sale

Now

EVO RATING

© Takes the hot hatch to a new high

© You have to pay extra for Cup chassis

03018VO Pictures: Andy Morgan

dk

911 GTS Cab

is the magazine available in the shops yet? Thats the first proper picture of my colour yet, I need that mag!:devilish:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ave it!!

read this this morning, its a great review and im not a fan of evo.

But i am a fan of phil, the guy knows his stuff.

Good stuff....lets just hope the build quality has improved a bit with it. Itd be a shame to spoil what sounds like a great car.

dk

911 GTS Cab

what colour is that, in some pics it looks like racing blue and in others like artic blue?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Sounds like Renault have really got it right...

A Rhys said, hope the build quality has improved!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by James on 02 February 2004

0-62mph

7.1sec [claimed]

So what would the 0 -60 be ?
Hard to say. If acceleration was entirely linear, it would be 6.98. But its not. So who knows.!!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes. i can give you all you need.

JC5 130

Number of speeds 5

kmh/rpm in

1st 8.58

2nd 14.23

3rd 20.06

4th 25.76

5th 33.36

the 182 is now (in theory) geared to 155mph.

width is 1639mm or 1940mm with mirrors

track is 1430mm up front and 1408mm rear

wheelbase is 2485mm

Sounds very good - dont like the dark alloys with the Blue tho.

I assume they havent done any timed runs in it to see how fast it is - those wheels look pretty chunky too - anyone know how wide they are?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No no timed runs as yet.

My guesstimate would be on a par or a smige slower than a cup.

God forbid it would be quicker!! that could cause some ego issues.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 02 February 2004

Yes. i can give you all you need.
Why, thanks ;)

Back to the stats, i dont suppose you have the actual ratios rather than speed per 1000rpm. (Or do you know how to convert into ratios?!)

Cheers!

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 02 February 2004

No no timed runs as yet.

My guesstimate would be on a par or a smige slower than a cup.

God forbid it would be quicker!! that could cause some ego issues.
I hope it is quicker than the Cup but I doubt it - well have to wait for a decently run in one to be timed.

Didnt realise there was no torque increase, just about 10bhp.

Doubt itll be much quicker in a straight line....

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I think its a great addition to an already great stable,from 16vs to v-6s im sure itll find its slot near the top and do us all proud against other hatches like ctr and stuff.

I know the ctr is bigger but its still got a hatch and it wont stop the comparisons being made on here or other journos mag articles.

I love the blue(dont think its quite the cup colour)and would love to see some 17"dark grey turinis on it.

Regards ,ian

dfdf

I though it was the arctic blue rather than racing blue. It looks like a metallic shade (in those pics) to me!

Im gonna have to go and test drive one after reading that review! Best hot hatch ever!!! Thats a bold claim :eek:

Looks like the Clio may be back in consideration for my next car :D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by silvagti on 02 February 2004

Best hot hatch ever!!! Thats a bold claim :eek:
A lot of cars have had that "tag" over the years though...

just traded my mk1 172 for a flame red mk2 2002,i think in 2-3 years time i will def look at the 182. let other people pay for the depriciation.;)

dont like the dark alloys, and those exhausts are a great touch but too small!

if the 182 is as much of an improvement over the mk2 172, as the mk2 is over the mk1,, wow!

Elise/VX220/R26

hmmm. Im seeing a lot of green eyed monster in this post. Fact. The 182 will be better than the cup or 172, it simply has to be. IMO any car thats better than the 172 deserves all the positive reviews. If it wasnt for the tailpipes I might be tempted lol

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

So if these Michelin Exalto2s are soo superb, why are people not running them on the 172s?

As the 182 wheels are 7" same as 172, presumably we can run the same 205/45/16 tyres? I think they are 195/45/16 on the 172 as standard?

Elise/VX220/R26

dont be daft m8 its obvious folk who have a new 172 are gonna be a bit miffed theres a newer swankier model out, its always the way. feck it!