ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evo road test-197 vs trophy

Renault 182
Yesterday I was luckily enough to be invited by Evo magazine down to bedford autodrome whereby I took part in next months magazine feature " The best front wheel drive car"

So keep an eye out for my white 106 rallye on next months front cover.

In with the competition was the new clio and the classic trophy.

Being an owner of a 182 I asked if could accompany the writers whilst they carried out tests on the trophy and the new clio. Remarkly they said "yes". So I firstly jump in the clio trophy and off we go flying down some B-roads. I didnt feel that much difference between mine and the trophy until we started to push hard and it came alive. The trophy left the new clio for dead down the roads we were on. It just made me more and more annoyed that the trophy wasnt out when i bought my 182...

Short stop whilst they discussed the two cars then I jumped into the brand new clio. My first impression were the seats they were absolute rubbish.. they look like and feel like they have come out of a bog standard clio, no support whats so ever, although the steering wheel was nice. When you jump into the clio you get a feel for how wide it is, its likes its a maxi.

The engine didnt sound as lively as the trophy, but with only 900 miles on the clock it can be for given for that. But from sitting it you couldnt tell the extra ponnies it had.What I must say was how sure footed it felt over the bumps and dips in the road compared with the trophy and even my clio...but again this was in a bad way...it just felt heavy and boring and one of the writers even said " Its feels like a golf" what cant be good.

The car was nice to drive and what it did it did well...but I just dont know it just didnt get that feeling well your flying down a b-road like you do in the clio trophy a bit out of shape a bit on the edge whats makes a hot hatch so much fun...its just seems to have grown up and gone more refined.

Anyone else driven the new clio???

You will have to wait for next months evo for the photos and results..

Absolute brilliant day

106 GTi
Lorna and Steve where there in there 306 Rallye to where they not? Shame they could'nt get a 106 GTi in time.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Not surprised tbh.. does look lardy, etc..

Don't think i'd buy one.. will have to see if a Cup version comes out.. THEN, i might be tempted..???

Nice one Gareth, thanks for the insider information, I can't wait for this now. Do you know who's Williams they had and if they included a Corrado VR6?

I reckon the results will be Trophy, Williams and GTI-6 Rallye in the top 3.

Trophy 298/525 said:
Nice one Gareth, thanks for the insider information, I can't wait for this now. Do you know who's Williams they had and if they included a Corrado VR6?

I reckon the results will be Trophy, Williams and GTI-6 Rallye in the top 3.

corrado is a small coupe,

same reason why the ford racing puma and the integra type-r are never included in these ultimate front drive hot hatch tests.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
the 197 seats were what??!! They are twice as deep as the old 1*2 and trophy!!!!!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
superfastdan said:
the 197 seats were what??!! They are twice as deep as the old 1*2 and trophy!!!!!

They are still gash when you sit in them, only good about the inside is the steering wheel.

Gareth you lucky b*****d! Thanks for the preview. It is a little unfair to compare a standard 197 with a 182 trophy as the dampers fitted to the trophy are way beyond (and more expensive) those fitted to less exclusive models. But I am not convinced the 197 is a worthy successor to 172/182's as it just seems to be too big and heavy. Interior is a big step forward though

Peddled device
Kinda sad l know but when a new car comes out and l own the older model l want mine to be better.....and so it seems this time:)
What bothers me is the size of the new Clio.Its as big and heavy as an '80's family car! Why can't they keep the weight down.Even a 172 Cup with air/con,ABS,ESP etc wouldn't weigh any where near 1200kgs.
A Clio is no longer a small hatch in my opinion.

Renault 182
Josh27 said:
Awesome stuff, can't wait for next months issue now! :D
What other cars did they test?

I wont say what went through to the second day...but the cars present at the test were

1. pug 205 gti
2. pug 106 rallye
3. pug 306 rallye
4. ford puma
5. ford focus rs
6. fiat barachetta
7. VW mk1 golf
8. VW golf the new shape
9.VW vr6 corrado
10. Renault 197
11. Renault trophy
12. mini gp
13. renault clio williams (perfect example think it was number 2 of the series 2 run, only 19k)
14. Honda integra type R
15. Lotus Elan

think thats them all. Yeah you could probably think of more cars but it was a case of getting the cars their and trying to narrow them down.

What I meant by the seats, if you get the chance get in them and press down on bolsters at the side, they might aswell be pieces of paper, no support. A few thousands miles and they will sag making the interior look scruffy

Renault 182
White16valver said:
Do you mean the williams was number 0002 of the first run of them?

The second and third runs weren't numbered!

Im not sure..I dont know my williams that well, im a peugeot man, but i think it was a P reg??? so i assumed it was a later series.

All I know was that it had 19k and had a number plaque stating number 2.

I think it was the car that they did the buyers guide with if that helps

Orange 182
RALLYPUG said:
Kinda sad l know but when a new car comes out and l own the older model l want mine to be better.....and so it seems this time:)
What bothers me is the size of the new Clio.Its as big and heavy as an '80's family car! Why can't they keep the weight down.Even a 172 Cup with air/con,ABS,ESP etc wouldn't weigh any where near 1200kgs.
A Clio is no longer a small hatch in my opinion.

Totally agree mate ^^ :)

Thanks for the great preview too

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Trophy's got it in the bag - I've driven most of the other, a couple of one's I aint got my hands on yet, and it's better than all of them. Corrado & Elan may give it a run for its money but the rest are 1st division compared.

They never include the 172 Cup in anything, have they never been fans of it? Seems strange as many journalists regard it as a bit of a back-to-basics classic. They like using pics of it when discussing the 172 though so at least they like the look of it!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Great review, but I can't quite understand why that Williams is on a P plate? Really looking forward to next edition of Evo though, it should be a classic and one to keep!

Cheers, Rob669

Cool pics.

After driving the 197 on the track I don't think it's worth the extra £ upgrading from the 182.

al

ST on the way...
Nice little review there mate, look forward to seeing the finished product.

ukaskew said:
They never include the 172 Cup in anything, have they never been fans of it? Seems strange as many journalists regard it as a bit of a back-to-basics classic. They like using pics of it when discussing the 172 though so at least they like the look of it!

Didn't Evo give the 182 Cup 5 stars??!?!? ;)