ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excel Help

1.8 Civic EX
I know I have worked this out in the past and I'm convinced it was with an IF formula but hoping someone here can help...

A1 = 1
A2 through A5 are blank
A6 = 2
A7 through A10 are blank
A11 = 3
A12 through A20 are blank
The sheet continues like this, sometimes there is one row that is blank, sometimes there are 5 or 6 blank rows.

How can I fill the blanks with the number above, so basically I want A2 through A5 to = A1 and A7 through A10 to = A6 etc etc

I'm sure in the past I inserted a column and used an if formula. Obviously I can copy paste etc but the list has over 27k rows of data so thats gonna take an age!

hopefully this makes some sense lol!

1.8 Civic EX
pmsl it's not very easy to explain tbh and it's annoying the hell out of me as I know I've done it in the past!

1.8 Civic EX
Before: how it is currently
f931b6d0.jpg

After: how I want it
56ca71e5.jpg

Look at column A, I need a formula that I can just paste in/fill down (not pasting into each cell as that would be no different from just copy/paster and take forever) that will populate the blank cells. Hopefully that will make it a bit clearer...

Underneath 1 type one again. Highlight both cells then drag down by the corner. (small black square)

You need the 2 numbers the same otherwise it will start 1 2 3 4 5 etc.

1.8 Civic EX
yes but that will then overwrite the 2 and 3 etc and put 1 all the way down the whole column.

remember the issue here is the sheet is HUGE, I want something I can just fill down for the WHOLE sheet not just a "section" at a time.

It can be done as I've done it in the past but can't remember what I did lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
easiest way to do that would be to insert a row above your data

put an auto filter on said row.

filter column a by blanks

type in blank cell = & cell reference above (so in your case you would do =a2 once you've added in the new row)

copy this cell, select all blank cells and paste. then C&P special values.

Alternatively you can automate it. if statement is possible but i'd use a doloop bit of vba and attach it to a button.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL it's not complicated, i've just done it with 66,000 rows of mock data based on your screen shots above.

Bus w**ker
Right now I understand. Try this:

Select column A
Press Ctrl+G
Click Special
Put a dot in the "Blanks" radio button
Click OK
Type =
Press the up arrow
Hold CTRL down and hit return

If that doesn't work then there's some VBa you could use.

2001 Clio 172
Will the adjacent letters always be certain ones? I.e. can you have an IF statement to fill the number by the letter next to it?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Type this in cell i2, then drag down:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A2),A2,I1)

There is no easy formula way to do it within the same column, unless you use visual basic.

1.8 Civic EX
Type this in cell i2, then drag down:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A2),A2,I1)

There is no easy formula way to do it within the same column, unless you use visual basic.

still got no idea on this one lol, I think my brain has finally stopped....

Right now I understand. Try this:

Select column A
Press Ctrl+G
Click Special
Put a dot in the "Blanks" radio button
Click OK
Type =
Press the up arrow
Hold CTRL down and hit return

If that doesn't work then there's some VBa you could use.

Perfect! defo not what I did before but it does the job! ta