ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Heat Shield Rattling

172 Cup
Hi guys,

Had a slight knocking from under the car which with th ehelpof the search function I worked out to be the manifold banging. So checked all engine mounts and they looked as if they were in good condition, rubber had not perished. So I loosened the drivers side top mount and "pulled" the engine forward and went out and gave it some beans in 2nd last night and it seems to be fine now.

However I also have a second problem. Whilst giving it the aforementioned "beans" in 2nd there apperas to be a tin-y type rattle coming fom the manifold type area. This also started a few weeks ago. I'm guessing its the heat shield. When I had a poke around under the car last night whilst checking the dogbone mount I couldn't see anything obviously loose or signs of it hitting against anything. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they tightened up etc to solve.

Any advice greatly appreciated. PS car is a 52 reg 172 Cup.

Will

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
This knocking you mentioned....when did it occurr? Only over bumps in the road?

I also have a 52 plate Cup and have a knocking/tapping noise when i go over crap roads.....driving me mad. Thinking engine mount on the offside.

172 Cup
Knocking was under the car just behind engine, the well known manifold hitting the sub frame problem. Theres loads of posts on it. Usually a mount related issue. All my mounts looked good so Just pulled the engine forward a few mm at the top and problem seems ok, just left with the annoying rattle when giving it some in 2nd! :(