ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust/Insurance Help

Renault Master
Hi guys appologies in advance if posted in the wrong place. I have searched too and still not quite sure if this is in the right place.
Ok I have seen a clio 172 that I want to buy but it has a blowing exhaust middle section and the rear box is looking a bit ropey. My concern is I have read that standard clio exhaust cost a fortune for oem and don't last, I need to keep my car standard for insurance purposes. What could you guys recommend as i know insurance companies are strict and I would rather declare mods than have invalid insurance. Has anyone else been in a similar situation.

My cheapest quotes are based on the clio being standard.

Cheers, Sean

Renault Master
Ok i'll pm you soon to discuss as got a couple more to see. Either way will let you know.

Cheers

Black 172
Call your insurer and ask them.

Each insurer has their own (sometimes several different) underwriting criteria.

No one knows who your insured with and what their criteria is. They may say they will not cover you - they may say they'll charge you £25?!

Renault Master
Cheers Mr Anderson gonna give them a shout as sky insurance want about 350 more than if it was standard via privilege/churchill etc.

I was with AXA:NI, if you made a single modification of any description, they would refuse cover. Moved to Greenlight (found on here) and they'll insure any modifications and so far none of them have really affected my premium, never had a more helpful insurer either!

Ford Mustang 5.0
I was with AXA:NI, if you made a single modification of any description, they would refuse cover. Moved to Greenlight (found on here) and they'll insure any modifications and so far none of them have really affected my premium, never had a more helpful insurer either!

Thanks for the recommendation mate

Sean if you wanted to PM me your contact number i could get in touch personally and run the quote to see what price we can come up with.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

Renault Master
Fair dos had issues with greenlight before they're not very clear on there no claims procedures etc. Most insurers give you 2 years if not been driving but not these guys. Just from what a friend told me gonna stick to Allianz so thanks anyways.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Fair dos had issues with greenlight before they're not very clear on there no claims procedures etc. Most insurers give you 2 years if not been driving but not these guys. Just from what a friend told me gonna stick to Allianz so thanks anyways.

We can take NCB that is up to 2yrs old mate. Its industry standard to take that.

If your last policy expired over 2yrs ago then the NCB will normally have expired. Thats the only time we wouldnt be able to quote. I think Aviva and Axa will actually accept NCB that is over 2yrs old.

If you are looking to insure something high performance like a Subaru Impreza then the insurance companies may not be to keen that you havent driven in 2yrs and jumping straight into an Impreza. But for a Cliosport there wouldnt be an issue.

I'm with Greenlight as well under their modified insurance and love what I have setup with them.

Car - Astra 1.4
Age - 22
Premium - £1200
NCB - 3 Years
Accidents - 1

Pro's - Mod up to 180bhp, Unlimited external mods.

That's enough for me :) the only downfall is I'm limited to 5,000 miles.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'm with Greenlight as well under their modified insurance and love what I have setup with them.

Car - Astra 1.4
Age - 22
Premium - £1200
NCB - 3 Years
Accidents - 1

Christ you're getting bent over for that premium! Im only 20 so insurance companies like greenlight, sky, flux, brentacre etc wont touch me on my 200, yet Admiral want £770.00 and charged me £25.55 for my exhaust! Lol!

BG FF 182
Cheers Mr Anderson gonna give them a shout as sky insurance want about 350 more than if it was standard via privilege/churchill etc.

Aye a lot of insurers charge silly amounts for the slightest thing, because it is then classed as "modified". Does my nut in. It's just a stainless catback

Christ you're getting bent over for that premium! Im only 20 so insurance companies like greenlight, sky, flux, brentacre etc wont touch me on my 200, yet Admiral want £770.00 and charged me £25.55 for my exhaust! Lol!

I can't be bothered to keep paying and paying for more and more mods ( I have a lot in mind) so decided unlimited was best. I did get a renewal quote through from Sainsburys Bank who I got my first year of insurance for the Astra off and it was around the £700 mark but they wouldn't touch me if I modified.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I can't be bothered to keep paying and paying for more and more mods ( I have a lot in mind) so decided unlimited was best. I did get a renewal quote through from Sainsburys Bank who I got my first year of insurance for the Astra off and it was around the £700 mark but they wouldn't touch me if I modified.

Fair play

Just did a quote on Confused with all mods declared so far they want £1300 with bell. Then it would be extra no doubt for any other mod afterwards and that was with a voluntary excess of £1000!! With Greenlight I don't have a voluntary excess I just have to pay £500 compulsory.

MR2 Mk1.5

Comparing what you pay against a risk which is completely different doesn't really work.

Renault Master
Bit of an update. No car yet unfortunately as we're in the middle of getting ready to move out and the other half has started a new job. So once settled defo have a 172/182 by spring. Anyways 2 what I think to be decent prices I got via Zenith. For a standard 172 upto 4k miles use per year price was £460 which seems reasonable, considering my civic was about £110 a month lol.For a modified one same mileage etc was an extra £150 odd so not bad I think. I only have 1 years ncb and had my license for 5 Years.No accidents just been a named driver etc etc.

172 cup

Car - Astra 1.4
Age - 22
Premium - £1200
NCB - 3 Years
Accidents - 1

Jheez that's high! I'm 20 fully comp 172 cup at £720?

edit: just saw someone else already noted, but I agree you should defo shop more they tried to tell me my renewal would be 1200 I had a rant and got down to 720 ain't a bad saving for a 30 min call?