ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust mount problem? (182)

Ive had a Magnex cat back exhaust on my 182 for about 2 years now and apart from the numerous warranty replacments they have never caused this awful vibration/ rattling noise which I get now and has been for a few months.

Since having the new Magnex and uprated rear mounts I was hoping it would have cured it. This noise is coming from up front and happens as I pull out of junctions, roundabouts or when I set off in 1st gear or slow right down in 2nd gear, to me it sounds as though part of the exhaust is sitting on a heat shield and obviously when you pull away it vibrates/ rattles like hell enough to turn heads!!

I took the guy from the garage (Sanspeed, Bexleyheath) out to listen to the noise prior to having the latest system fitted he says its sounded like a heat shield rattle but after getting the car back he said heatsheilds are all secure, exhaust mounts I presuming are ok coz they just fitted the new system and nothing was mentioned and nothing is wrong with lower engine mount which I asked them to check.

So im left thinking maybe the other exhaust mounts are a little tired, possibility?

How many exhaust mounts are there I know I have the 2 rear, 1 middle and 1 near the cat are there any others?

I know there are no uprated ones available could fitting some universal powerflex ones work? Anyone tried this?

Anyone else had similiar experiences like this with an aftermarket system?

Can the ENGINE mounts move but stll look in good enough nick to fool the garage into thinking its not the problem causing the manifold to sit on the heatsheild at low revs??

Im all out of ideas....

Cheers
Rob.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Have you checked the cat/center clamp?

Also have a look at the cat to check that its not blowing/cracked.

Not personally checked that Tom would/ could it have come loose?

Also now you mention that before this magnex was fitted I had this ressonating noise at about 2800-3000 rpm which did sound like it was coming from the front end of the car ( different noise to what im on about) but since having the latest system fitted that noise has died down but not completely gone???

What you have mentioned would that fail an mot?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If its leaking then yeah.

Its easy to check, just make sure the car is cold.

Right ive just been out there checking my cat all seems fine no visible cracks or leaks. Also checked the exhaust mounts they seem fine no cracking or wearing, the clearance of the exhaust and heat sheilds seems fine aswell!!!!!! Ive removed the tray from underneath the car as I thought it might be that, test drove it and it still does it!! Ive put some cable ties round the other mounts aswell as advised by David from Ktec..

In 1st and 2nd gear only and as I lift the clutch pedal and find the bite and come off the clutch as you get that slight judder its then when its makes the loud noise but continues after the judder till the revs pick up as described it makes me think metal tray, metal tray???

Im stumped.. Renault blamed it on aftermarket parts the last time I mentioned it but I know this cant be the problem as said above it never used to do it!!
If you give the front grill a LIGHT thump with your fist a couple of times it sort of sounds like it could be that maybe my front bumper has come loose?? but doesnt seem to be overly loose??

Rob.