ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Silencing - Would this work?

PH1 172 Sport
Love the sound of my stealth 90% of the time. On the motorway it can be a bit too boomy though.

Would reducing the tail pipe exit from 2.5" to 2.25" help reduce this or would I be wasting my time?

I was thinking of making a removable insert for it.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I was always under the impression that its only the backbox that changes the noise, think the tail pipe is just for show

Fabia vrs tdi
i have the ktec supersports for my 182 and didnt find it too loud at all if i stuck to 70mph is there much of a difference between the 172 and 182 system ?

i got a decat fitted today love the sound but still to check it out on long motorway trips

330i. E30 Touring.
It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

You've got three options:

Get some ear-plugs/turn the radio up.

Man the f**k up.

Buy a quieter exhaust.

This is what i rock

untitled.gif

You could get a silencer put in?

PH1 172 Sport
I was under the impression that breaking up the sound waves traveling through the exhaust helps reduce boom. It was just an idea that reducing the tailpipe size would aid this.

PH1 172 Sport
Just to let everyone know. I made an insert today and its definitely made a difference. Allot less boom between 3k and 4k and idle is allot quieter. I can't say I've noticed a difference in power either.

To top it off I can now hear induction noise which IMO sounds a hell of allot better than the boom I had before.

ibiza cupra
how did you make the insert mate? (ive had another ear chewing from the missis about how loud mine is and that its not fair to the neighbours)

PH1 172 Sport
I made something very similar to this but obviously made the hole in the centre bigger.

TBH i wasn't sure it was going to make any difference and was quite surprised that it did. The other half should be happier now also as we wont have to shout at each other whilst going down the motorway.

RSC 182 Cup
Downsizing your centre resonator to 2.25" should also make a big difference. (And fit the biggest size res you can.)

Golf GTD Mk7
centre silencer added? reducing the pipe exit size might make a little difference, but all depends how you drive it ;)

BMW E30 325iiiiii
making the tailpipe smaller will make a difference, but you would hardly notice it at all tbh. try using a bung, as long as you dont hammer it and keep a steady pace on the motorways, there shouldnt be any problems with engine management as its restricting flow.

Try sumopower i think they stock a few sizes. hole in the tailpipe, bolt it on...bish bash bosh.

PH1 172 Sport
centre silencer added? reducing the pipe exit size might make a little difference, but all depends how you drive it ;)

It's still loud when going for it BUT on the motorway most of the drone has gone (which is what I wanted to get rid of) as its the most annoying noise in the world.

clio sport 172
could i cut my annoyin centre silencer that hangs down and hits everythin and put one of these in?

Golf GTD Mk7
could i cut my annoyin centre silencer that hangs down and hits everythin and put one of these in?

If it's hanging that badly i'd get it looked at? centre hanger broken? shouldn't be catching on anything really. Lowered?