ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust woes (loud)

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone have a resonated Ktec stealth system with stock cat?

If so, is it much louder than stock?

I have just acquired another 172 & it has a decat & non res Ktec stealth system! My god it’s literally deafening loud and the resonance is unbearable, like really, really bad. I’ve got a headache just driving it 10 mins, stealth it most certainly is not!

I’m going to fit a stock cat pipe but not even sure if that’ll quieten it down enough, was thinking I could get a local exh place (that does this type of thing) to put in a centre silencer.

I just wondered if anyone with a cat and a resonated stealth exhaust could say if it’s still obnoxiously loud over standard?

Otherwise I may as well flog it and get a stock exhaust. Funnily enough I always thought my stock 172 exhaust was subtle but loud and deep for a stock car. If I hear someone else drive it I always think you can tell it’s something sporty as it has a nice tone.

If you drive a setup like this, you must be crazy. Surely it doesn’t pass DB test at the track either?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have had all available types of ktec exhaust system on my old Cup track car.

Decat, no center silencer and stealth rear box - deafening, failed noise at Brands

Cat, no center silencer and stealth rear box - still deafening, bit better though

Decat, centre silencer and stealth rear box - much better, but stealth rear box does make them boomy, especially on a long drive.

Decat, centre silencer and rear tail pipe - perfect noise balance, passed all noise tests

Cat, centre silencer and tailpipe- as above, bit quieter

Cat, no center silencer and rear tailpipe - better than stealth set up, but still too noisey imo.

Hope that helps.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I have had all available types of ktec exhaust system on my old Cup track car.

Decat, no center silencer and stealth rear box - deafening, failed noise at Brands

Cat, no center silencer and stealth rear box - still deafening, bit better though

Decat, centre silencer and stealth rear box - much better, but stealth rear box does make them boomy, especially on a long drive.

Decat, centre silencer and rear tail pipe - perfect noise balance, passed all noise tests

Cat, centre silencer and tailpipe- as above, bit quieter

Cat, no center silencer and rear tailpipe - better than stealth set up, but still too noisey imo.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, helps a lot

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Ktec stealth

It was loud with the cat

Just put a 182 manifold on it and a decat and it's f**king loud. So much so that I drove a standard 182 yesterday and it was like being at church

This is ridiculous. It’s been over an hour and I’m left with a headache for the rest of the day. It’s not so much the db but the resonance, I feel like it’s fried my head. I can’t even drive it until I can rectify it, it’s so bad.

The mad thing is I bought it for a track car to go in with a mate but there’s no way it’d be allowed on track. One issue I may have is it’s all been custom mapped with the straight through exhaust, not sure what a cat and stock exhaust will do for it.

it must have 20bhp more than my stock car (according to the 185bhp rr print & fact my other is 135k engine and std) but I’m not even liking the power delivery either. I’ve just gone out in the rain and it’s wheel spin mania. Can’t just be the ‘power’ as it’s not a lot exactly but the std car deals with the wet a lot better. I couldn’t put any power down in 2nd and 1st was just a joke. It’d be left for dead by my stock one ironically.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
This is ridiculous. It’s been over an hour and I’m left with a headache for the rest of the day. It’s not so much the db but the resonance, I feel like it’s fried my head. I can’t even drive it until I can rectify it, it’s so bad.

The mad thing is I bought it for a track car to go in with a mate but there’s no way it’d be allowed on track. One issue I may have is it’s all been custom mapped with the straight through exhaust, not sure what a cat and stock exhaust will do for it.

it must have 20bhp more than my stock car (according to the 185bhp rr print & fact my other is 135k engine and std) but I’m not even liking the power delivery either. I’ve just gone out in the rain and it’s wheel spin mania. Can’t just be the ‘power’ as it’s not a lot exactly but the std car deals with the wet a lot better. I couldn’t put any power down in 2nd and 1st was just a joke. It’d be left for dead by my stock one ironically.
Mines the same mate. The lack of back seats really makes it loud!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Mines the same mate. The lack of back seats really makes it loud!

Oh god, I didn’t think about that.

It made me appreciate my std car even more. Only reason I wanted another was because my std car is so original and felt guilty about tracking it and thinking about mods to make it ‘better’. So I find one with some mods and think it can be stripped out and a half cage, now I’m looking at standard parts as it’s so annoying.

So then I’m thinking another std car would be better... great, and then I’d have two std Clios FFS. I’ve lost the plot.

Worst bit is my GF will be round tonight and she’s already given me the ‘new underwear, new dress‘ talk and I’ve got a clio induced headache & feel grumpy as fcuk. Non res will ruin your sex life

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Oh god, I didn’t think about that.

It made me appreciate my std car even more. Only reason I wanted another was because my std car is so original and felt guilty about tracking it and thinking about mods to make it ‘better’. So I find one with some mods and think it can be stripped out and a half cage, now I’m looking at standard parts as it’s so annoying.

So then I’m thinking another std car would be better... great, and then I’d have two std Clios FFS. I’ve lost the plot.

Worst bit is my GF will be round tonight and she’s already given me the ‘new underwear, new dress‘ talk and I’ve got a clio induced headache & feel grumpy as fcuk. Non res will ruin your sex life
f**king hell🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just send her round mine, I've not driven the clio today so I should be alright🤣

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
f**king hell🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just send her round mine, I've not driven the clio today so I should be alright🤣

I would mate but she’s done all my shopping for me so gotta deliver that (which she’ll be pleased about too as she won’t be able to park near my house as I’ve littered the area with imprezas and Clios now).

I’ll wait til she’s on top before I pull her hair & tell her she paid for the latest 172 with the cash she gave me to look after!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I would mate but she’s done all my shopping for me so gotta deliver that (which she’ll be pleased about too as she won’t be able to park near my house as I’ve littered the area with imprezas and Clios now).

I’ll wait til she’s on top before I pull her hair & tell her she paid for the latest 172 with the cash she gave me to look after!
Nothing like a good old fashioned orgasm after realising you're now the proud owner of an 18 year old French beantin🤣🤣

Clios make the bitches soppy

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mate just took his car to a place called Infinity Exhausts, they fitted to small silencers in his track car as it was biblically loud. Very reasonable at £150 all in.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
In the same boat here @jameswrx I'm running cat, unresonated, ktec recessed backbox. It's too boomy for long journeys and as much as I've tried I cant find a spare resonated centre section so either buying a whole ktec with resonator or getting one welded in are my next options.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
My mate just took his car to a place called Infinity Exhausts, they fitted to small silencers in his track car as it was biblically loud. Very reasonable at £150 all in.

This may be my next move which is why I was pondering the effect of a resonated Ktec system very mine ie would having one welded in even hell.

Will visit my local place and see what’s the largest box they can fit.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I thought it was louder the better. decat race system with only a back Box. Loved it until I stripped the rear and fitted a cage. Now wanting a resonated PMS system but not cheap. See if you can find and resonates centre section for ktec cheap or looks for another exhaust is prob best and cheapest option

Attachments

• VID-20190121-WA0020.mp4
    2.1 MB

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I’m not convinced 2.5” systems are a great idea for most of our lightly tuned engines. They are louder and certainly boom more than a 2 1/4 system. I don’t think there’s a power gain.
Only real solution is a good size centre silencer.
As for the missus. Paracetamol is your friend.

Interesting thread as I am in the same situation as the OP.

My 172 Cup has a Decat and KTEC Stealth and its so loud I’m embarrassed to drive the car. How do I tell if the Stealth is Resonated or not ? My exhaust has one centre box and the back box.

I was considering a few options-

Buy a cat and fit it to what I currently have

Investigate a local custom exhaust place making the existing system quieter by adding an extra box etc

Selling what I currently have and getting a standard exhaust ( and probably a cat too )

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Interesting thread as I am in the same situation as the OP.

My 172 Cup has a Decat and KTEC Stealth and its so loud I’m embarrassed to drive the car. How do I tell if the Stealth is Resonated or not ? My exhaust has one centre box and the back box.

I was considering a few options-

Buy a cat and fit it to what I currently have

Investigate a local custom exhaust place making the existing system quieter by adding an extra box etc

Selling what I currently have and getting a standard exhaust ( and probably a cat too )
Look under the car resonated normally has a centre box

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I have a decat with centre box & rear,its the Janspeed/ktec & sounds perfect for me.Quiet just potting about,then when you give it some sh*t sounds great!.

I had the drone noise in my old cup,so i know how that is.I think its down to the cat/area where it resonates up to the cabin.Also tried a couple of systems on that & even changed the stealthpipe to a normal exit pipe & no difference.Also the dia of the whole system makes a difference.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’m not convinced 2.5” systems are a great idea for most of our lightly tuned engines. They are louder and certainly boom more than a 2 1/4 system. I don’t think there’s a power gain.
Only real solution is a good size centre silencer.
As for the missus. Paracetamol is your friend.

Pretty much this, only way to make them quieter is to reduce the pipe bore.

I reckon the average age on CS is just getting older and you are all going a bit soft 😂
The above system I linked with a Cat was really tame imo.

Yip, I’m 40 so just want something that makes a nice noise. Failing that, I’ll just go back to a standard exhaust

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I reckon the average age on CS is just getting older and you are all going a bit soft 😂

The above system I linked with a Cat was really tame imo.

haha always catch myself thinking " what a knob" when I see something with a loud exhaust... then I remember I was that knob. 😂

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Those with decats on 172 (because the previous owner sold the cat for scrap) try just a normal cat on it. Makes a big difference to noise. They are bit of a nuisance to change on the 172, but it is like adding another silencer in.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I have a decat with centre box & rear,its the Janspeed/ktec & sounds perfect for me.Quiet just potting about,then when you give it some sh*t sounds great!.

I had the drone noise in my old cup,so i know how that is.I think its down to the cat/area where it resonates up to the cabin.Also tried a couple of systems on that & even changed the stealthpipe to a normal exit pipe & no difference.Also the dia of the whole system makes a difference.

I think the harmonics are just so offensive made worse by the ‘uprated’ engine and box mounts. It’s almost like a frequency of a big sub vibrating bass and it goes right through your head, I could never drive it any distance. It’s not just the volume it’s the type of noise and vibration at certain revs (cruising speed)

I’ll get a new cat and see what my exhaust place think. I did have a look on eBay and potentially I could just fit a generic oval silencer with slip joints into the centre.

The engine and gearbox mounts going back to OE would help. I’m not really sure why people change them for uprated, I put new OE equivalent ones on my stock 172 a few years ago and I’m never thinking “I wish it was much more horrible to drive”. It just seems like a ‘thing to do’ on these cars, never seen it so commonly recommended on any other marque I’ve owned. I guess it came about from the originals wearing and people uprating them but honestly it’s another horrible mod for a clio IMO. I guess if it’s a race car it makes sense but for a part time track car it’s just OTT.

So my ‘uprated’ 172 experience...

engine & box mounts - horrible
Exhaust - awful
Remap/power lower down - stupid (there’s a reason why it’s like it is std as it rains and I miss the stock vtec like jump which is also gone)

So, after 8 years of 172 ownership my type of clio mods would be... seats lowered, momo/OMP steering wheel, contisport 3’s & PBS race pads (which are actually a decent mod)

I was intending to sell my stock 172 and get an already molested one with some mods but I’m not sure it’s getting the balance right for me. Doesn’t make much sense to make the car horrible to drive 350 days just for a more focused track session where a Megane will still cruise past you like you’re stood still.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That does cause alot of the noise as it bounces off the floor, which makes it drone. This is why I think the 182 systems sound much better than the 172 ones as the noise is directed out the back, rather than down to the floor.

Try a cat, that will be some of the problem.

What engine mounts have you got? The ktec solid ones are excellent, much better than the OEM ones?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

Glad to hear that, I'm going to look at adding a centre silencer if it truley makes a difference

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Just to add in here vibratechnics engine mounts aren't that bad, yes they're stiff but that's the whole point of them😂

I've driven PD diesels that have had black series mounts, now that gets f**king very tiresome after about 2 minutes!🤣

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm full black series polybushed, evol dogbone, vibratechnic mounted, b14s on solid topmounts and run a decatted non-resonated milltek exhaust on polybush mounts.

I also drive my car everyday to work and use it everywhere. It's not bad at all, admittedly I've put sound deadening on the rear quarters, below the rear seats and in the boot but it never gives me a headache.

Those with decats on 172 (because the previous owner sold the cat for scrap) try just a normal cat on it. Makes a big difference to noise. They are bit of a nuisance to change on the 172, but it is like adding another silencer in.

Any Cats for sale Mark ? Ha ha.

Do I have to keep my eye out for a used 172 Cat or would a generic one do the job ?

cheers again

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Don't bother with genuine, they are ridiculous prices and that is if you can find one!! You want one that is similar size and shape to the original though, to reduce noise.

I had a 182 manifold, ktec sports cat and twin box stainless janspeed system on the track car I recently sold and noise wise that was perfect.

I am no youngster and appreciate something that is quiet when just driving around, but gives a bit of noise when pushing on.

Just tried three different systems on my 182 Turbo just to get some more noise!! Add a turbo as that seems to dampen noise loads 😂

Don't bother with genuine, they are ridiculous prices and that is if you can find one!! You want one that is similar size and shape to the original though, to reduce noise.

I had a 182 manifold, ktec sports cat and twin box stainless janspeed system on the track car I recently sold and noise wise that was perfect.

I am no youngster and appreciate something that is quiet when just driving around, but gives a bit of noise when pushing on.

Just tried three different systems on my 182 Turbo just to get some more noise!! Add a turbo as that seems to dampen noise loads 😂
Good to know. Thanks

Yeah, I can imagine a Turbo is a completely different noise. It’s more a thrust sound than anything else.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I just took my son out and he noticed that at the ‘sweet spot’ for the vibe/ noise when you talk it even makes your voice change.

Must admit today it wasn’t as bad as my hissy fit yesterday. It had the seats down yesterday as was full off spares when the guy dropped it off. That must have made things worse.

It’s still terrible though, if you hold it at the bad revs (circa 3,2k) the noise/feel goes through you and if you open the window it clears a lot of the feel. It is almost like being sealed inside a speaker box with the vibe of a sub shaking your eyes and vibrating your voice.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Wonder if these are good enough, seem a bit cheap...

BE9E95D3-C1BD-434B-AB2D-1B517D42FF45.jpeg