ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust woes (loud)

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
That would drive me literally insane! I have problems with my hearing anyway and suffer quite badly with tinnitus! Plus I’m at an age where obnoxiously loud vehicles are a massive turn off!

Yep. My hearing is really good so maybe I’m sensitive to it but it genuinely made me feel ill yesterday, can’t be good for you.

Not that you’d get on track but I’d prob throw up after a couple of laps.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I recently purchased a BM Cat for a 182. Really impressed with it. Car went through mot no problem.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Yep. My hearing is really good so maybe I’m sensitive to it but it genuinely made me feel ill yesterday, can’t be good for you.

Not that you’d get on track but I’d prob throw up after a couple of laps.

I suspect my hearing is damaged from too many nights out in my yoof. But without coming across as an old fit, I really wouldn’t want to be driving a car that made my feel sick from the resonance, it’s not really the noise that will cause damage, more the resonance in my experience and I wouldn’t want to wish what I have on anyone!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The other thing I wondered is would a 197 manifold with built in car fit?
No and why would you want that? One of the worst designed parts on the car.
Just direct the noises out the back of the car and itll reduce significantly then add sound deadening within

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
No and why would you want that? One of the worst designed parts on the car.
Just direct the noises out the back of the car and itll reduce significantly then add sound deadening within

Well I’d read they will technically bolt on the engine no problem but couldn’t find anything on the actual fit down the back of the engine.

Reason I’d want it was I’d assumed the 197 exhaust was a better evolution of the sport clio manifold and cat. The 182 mani was better than 172, 197 should be better again you’d imagine when they’re chasing small gains.

I saw they have a built in cat and assumed the 197 manifold and cat was better for power than a 182 manifold and cat separately.

Was just thinking genuine 197 mani cat on eBay was reasonable money that’s all. It looked like it might work with a custom centre section adaptation.

I’d not heard they were one of the worst parts of the car!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well I’d read they will technically bolt on the engine no problem but couldn’t find anything on the actual fit down the back of the engine.

Reason I’d want it was I’d assumed the 197 exhaust was a better evolution of the sport clio manifold and cat. The 182 mani was better than 172, 197 should be better again you’d imagine when they’re chasing small gains.

I saw they have a built in cat and assumed the 197 manifold and cat was better for power than a 182 manifold and cat separately.

Was just thinking genuine 197 mani cat on eBay was reasonable money that’s all. It looked like it might work with a custom centre section adaptation.

I’d not heard they were one of the worst parts of the car!
Worst designed in the sense of the flexis being made of string cheese.

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
Sorry for the thread resurection. But I think it has given me the answer to my problem, assuming I do indeed have a K-tec center silenced exhaust on the car, as has been suggested. (See my thread "ID my 172 exhaust")

The exhaust is a decat with one center box and one rear box with a downward facing tailpipe and a K&N Cone filter.

I think I'll buy the cheap eBay Cat and either bolt it straight in or maybe sleeve it.

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
Sorry for the thread resurection. But I think it has given me the answer to my problem, assuming I do indeed have a K-tec center silenced exhaust on the car, as has been suggested. (See my thread "ID my 172 exhaust")

The exhaust is a decat with one center box and one rear box with a downward facing tailpipe and a K&N Cone filter.

I think I'll buy the cheap eBay Cat and either bolt it straight in or maybe sleeve it.
dave120 What did you end up with in the end?