ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expensive Spark Plugs?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hello, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. My 2002 172 has a misfire so I took her into Reg Vardys at Durham. I bought the car from there and the servicing, prior to me buying, has been done there. The misfire was diagnosed as a dodgy plug and I was quoted £110 to replace the set as "the plugs have to be ordered from France". This seemed expensive to me for plugs but they said as the 36k/2 year service is nearly due the plugs would be done as part of the service for £280. Does this seem right or is the dealer having a laugh? Any advice/opinions would be great,

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bobbo172 said:
Hello, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. My 2002 172 has a misfire so I took her into Reg Vardys at Durham. I bought the car from there and the servicing, prior to me buying, has been done there. The misfire was diagnosed as a dodgy plug and I was quoted £110 to replace the set as "the plugs have to be ordered from France". This seemed expensive to me for plugs but they said as the 36k/2 year service is nearly due the plugs would be done as part of the service for £280. Does this seem right or is the dealer having a laugh? Any advice/opinions would be great,

They must be quoting labour charges for changing your plugs .

The originals are NKG PFR6E-10 .

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/applications/ngk_petrol_car_applications.asp

Some people use Bosch and seem to be happy with em .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-Super4-...635273223QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bobbo172 said:

dude welcome 2 cs ..................110 ........pmsl , no fcukin way .
dont know about the service but they must b charging for the diagnostic check to find out was wrong . new plugs 20 notes tops .
:S

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They're suppose to last 72k , mine fcuked up at 30k on my 172 .

Welcome to CS :) and the wonderful world of cliosports and rip off dealers ,lol ;)

172 cup'd extreme
plugs are £31 including VAT from my local factors (general traffic) the proper NGK ones, i fitted bosch and they lasted 4000 miles

Thank you for the info, sorry for my delayed reply my pc has gone west. Do you think then it's worth just getting the the plugs done as part of the service so as to keep my FSH going? It should then be another two years before the car has to go back to the Dealer.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
So how much are they charging you for the plugs Bobbo without the labour costs ?

Might be better off supplying the plugs yourself , save you a few quid .I think they are takin' the piss with the ordering from France bit , lol . They probably get em delivered from a local motor factor .

I recently use Denso for my 172, it is good. No problem at all.

Denso Iridium Power:
SVK20R-Z8

I didn't ask what the plug costs. I'd just been charged a very "reasonable" £55 for the diagnostic so was more that a bit stunned to be quoted a further £110 to have the plugs replaced. I'm just thinking that if they'll do them with the service for £280 then when it comes time to change which will prob be before the next service is due then I'll have a low mileage FDSH car to sell or part ex. I will enquire about supplying the parts myself to see if I can get the price down though.

i have litterally just got back from my friendly local garage and had 4 new spark plugs fitted, cost me £20.00 off ebay for four new bosch super 4 plugs and £20.00 fitting, all done and the car accellerates alot more smoothly now.

£110 your taking the piss i watched the mechanic do it, took him 20mins tops! and he wasnt as familiar with the car as renualt, so id say it would take renault less than 10 mins to do it, not bad for £110.00, rob dogging b******s.

Pu that another way if they are getting £110.00 per 10 mins of work that works out at approx £660 per hour.

Last edited:
Daz_172 said:
i have litterally just got back from my friendly local garage and had 4 new spark plugs fitted, cost me £20.00 off ebay for four new bosch super 4 plugs and £20.00 fitting, all done and the car accellerates alot more smoothly now.

£110 your taking the piss i watched the mechanic do it, took him 20mins tops! and he wasnt as familiar with the car as renualt, so id say it would take renault less than 10 mins to do it, not bad for £110.00, rob dogging b******s.

Pu that another way if they are getting £110.00 per 10 mins of work that works out at approx £660 per hour.
Proper Renault plugs are £20 each so thats £80 then at £65 an hour (usualy rate) and 1/3 quoted time plus a new gasget for the inatke manifold and there your £110.
Renault spark plugs are about the bst you can get they'll last the 72k that they should.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Just had my 36k service today.
Fitted Platnuim plugs from German, Swedish &French car parts. Their all over the country plus we get club discount.
Think they were £7 something + v.a.t

MK1 PH3 RSi
Just to let you know to gain access to the plugs the top section of the inlet manifold has to be removed, this is where the more expensive labour times are quoted from..... not a difficult job but its no 'A series'.......:S

D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah think my standard plugs were about £50 with discount when I had them done. As said they are actually very good so didn't want to change to something different, no point in skimping on a few quid :)

From what's been said it doesn't sound too bad if the dealer will do the service and the plugs for £280. As I said I think I'll change the car before the next service is due so hopefully there will be no need to go anywhere near the dealer! Thanks for all the advice.