ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Experts needed, variety of issues

Clio 172
Hi All,

Well im starting to dis like my Clio 172 at the moment, it has started playing up.

The car is a phase 1 172 and the problems are listed below

1 : Trouble starting most of the time, then after around 3 tries it starts, but sometimes it starts 1st time ? (Could it be the tdc sensor, or fuel pump?)

2: After around 10 minutes of driving my speedo decides it does not want to work and stops working (Internal speedo drive sensor?)

3: My Trip computer is not working (the mpg starts ok averaging 30 then it starts to tick down all the way to 0, without change of pace / driving, when reset it does not come back up until the car has been turned off / back on (i have recently changed the battery but this had made no difference)

4: When going over bumps there is a loud knocking noise from the back drivers side wheel / suspension (any ideas ?)

Is anyone able to shed some light on these?
I dont wanna spend a major amount of money on this because the price of the cars atm it would not be viable to spend £1000 +

Thanks in advance for your help, also if this is the wrong thread i apologise, make me love my 172 again !

Regards

Tony

1. More than likely TDC sensor. New sensor and connector £40 ish.

2. Possible NSF speed sensor or instrument panel fault. 172 cup speedo was driven off the gearbox, non cups used the NSF Abs sensor for the speedo.

3. ?? Possible instrument panel fault, could be linked to the above speedo problem.

4. Probable leaky shocker, very common. Also possible snapped spring.

Good luck

Oops just realised its a phase 1. Think the speedo was driven off the gearbox on those?? Cant be sure though.

Clio 172
yea the speedo is from the gearbox, and also i have done the self diagnostic test and the speedo etc seems fine then so im unsure if its a fault instrument panel?

Might check the leaky shocker as this could be very bad :s

Are all these problems common? as reliability really is looking bad at the moment for my clio :s

ValverInBits
hmm unless tampered with the cable speedo drives are normally pretty reliable.

What's the mileage? Possibly get a new clock set if it can be had cheap enough

Clio 172
56k Miles, Not been tampered with as far as im aware, i recently changed the accelerator cable (common fault?) if thats what you mean, it just seems to be ok until i come to a stop at lights etc and then stops until car is restarted :S