ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exploding fruit

Cupra
As people were curious, I thought I would share the secret to the exploding fruit shots.

Firstly, as much as I would love to claim it, it is not my idea! A mate of mine is doing a course and his tutor gave them some sample pics and he told me about it. After looking through flickr, various others have also done their own variations on the theme.

All you do is slice something up, hold it together with toothpicks, stick it in a lightbox and snap away. A quick edit with the clone tool in Photoshop later and you are left with puzzling images.

The set up:

One ghetto lightbox, some fruit and some toothpicks.

4445025996_dc0a631b1a.jpg

The shots, after & before:

4436654246_f3d59fcb3d.jpg

4444248509_1ef2d104d3.jpg

4436654468_9d44e3bfc5.jpg

4445019994_395b744979.jpg

It only took an hour or so in total and I'm pretty happy with the results. :D

Last edited:
  Suzuki Ignis
Oo thats a good idea.

He's paying for it too haha. Oh wait so am I, except Ive been taught feck all the time ive been there.

Cupra
That's the beauty of the lightbox, it is very simple to clone it out afterwards. 10 minutes tops.

Ah ha! Nice Andy, I was about to ask where your flash was placed although I then noticed it to the left of the set. What did you use to trigger the flash, I can see a device on the hot shoe but can't see what it is?

Cupra
Paul, yes, just a cheapo Blazzeo trigger off ebay. You can only use the flash in manual mode, but for £15 you can't ask for much more.

GW RS200
Looks great - definitely want a go at this! Lemon juice should keep your fruit from going brown too ;-) Thanks for the idea! Just wondering whether it might be possible to do a rotating movie of one. Lots of cloning, but might be worth it!

Last edited: