ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tutorial - Creating a rig shot in Photoshop

I have recently started playing with Photoshop and having looked at a lot of videos on YouTube, and doing a lot of experimenting with shots, I was able to create a seemingly convincing shot of my car, as if it were taken while moving, be it from a chase car, or on a rig.

This was the finished article:

6833357032_12bca116a4_b.jpg

6831458826_248600e4ee_o by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

A few people asked if I could make a tutorial on how to do it. Now I am no expert on PS so the thought of doing this was a little daunting! I have however had a go at making a quick run through of the process involved, using a new shot, that I took tonight.

I must stress I'm not that competent on PS so please excuse any noob methods or inaccuracies!

Step 1.

Open your image in PS, and immediately create a new layer. Layers will be vital to this working, (if you're unsure on layers and how they work, please have a look on YouTube, there are plenty there) so make sure you continually use them.

6983014965_225e01d953_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (3) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Step 2.

Use the "Clone" (again there are lot of videos explaining this on YouTube) tool to clean up any imperfections, in my case, I removed the velcro plates from the front of my car.

6983014463_159292a410_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (2) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Step 3.

Now you are ready to separate the car, and any objects that would be moving with the camera, from the background that will be blurred. There are a number of ways to select the areas you want, all with varying degrees of accuracy and ease of use, personally I find the "Mask" tool a very good way of accurately selecting certain objects. At this point, it is worth noting that taking your time is vital here, the better the layers are, the better the final image will look. If you rush, it will show through later on, so be warned :evil:

6983018981_5b4ecd5440_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (12) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Once you have selected everything you want, create another layer, copy the image across with the selection still active, on one layer delete the background, and on another layer, delete the car:

6983015843_b86eb33682_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (5) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

6983016877_fe23ed98ee_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (8) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Step 4.

Now that you have the background separated from the car, you can blur the background. To do this I use something called "Radial Blur" to find it drop down the "Filter" menu, then scroll down to "Blur" then select "Radial Blur" from the sub-menu:

6983019701_f55e30f902_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (13) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Once you have done that you will be presented with this window:

6836894696_aa5b1b7c56_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (14) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

In this window you have a few options, in the middle there is a "Spin" and a "Zoom" option box, make sure you tick the "Zoom" option. Under that there are quality options, set it to "Best".

You can also set the slider at the top, to decide how much blur you want, again have a play with this, you won't need as much as you think!

To the side there is a grid, this grid allows you to adjust the direction of the blur, this takes some practise and time, but you want to try and find the "vanishing point" of the photo, in my case it was somewhere around the end of the road.

Once you have done all this, click okay, it may take a minute or two to render.

You should be left with something like this:

6983017265_bf180df3aa_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (9) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

(Optional Step)

Even with rig shots, the photo will have some depth of field to it, so for me it was important to include this, my lens isn't very shallow, so the original shot needed modifying to add some DOF.

To do this I made a copy of the blurred background and added a "Gaussion Blur" to it, set to around 2.5 pixels.

I then set the copied layer under the blurred background, then erased the original blurred layer using a feathered edged eraser tool:

6983015275_0c52786654_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (4) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Step 5.

Now that the background is looking right, it is time to get the car looking correct, it is important not to forget the reflections on the car, and the fact that they would also be blurred.

You will be left with this shot after you have sorted the background:

6983021109_3a69019ea2_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (16) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Don't worry that there is a see through overlap, the background layer will be visible at the end and you will be able to clean it up.

With the background visible:

6983020671_590ab7c8bc_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (15) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

The first thing I did on the vehicle itself, was the most technical, the wheels.

The "Radial Blur" tool isn't able to blur the wheels correctly so you have to distort them first. To do this select the wheel in question (do one at a time) in this case again I have used a "Mask" remember to only select the face, the tread of the tyres can easily be done with the "Smudge" tool later on.

6836892814_b627398cd5_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (11) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

You then want to copy the selected wheel to a new layer, and once you have done this, select "Free Transform" (Ctrl + T on a PC) then stretch the wheel selection box so it is as close to square as you can make it.

6983021731_d7ae789900_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (17) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Once this is done, you can blur the wheel accordingly. Again this is done by clicking on "Filter > Blur > Radial Blur" This time we will use the "Spin" option instead of "Zoom"

As with before, there is a grid, this time the centre of the grid needs to be at the centre of where the wheel will appear to spin, so slightly off centre worked best for me.

The slider at the top can be used to adjust the amount of blur required.

6836888262_1da56ba443_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (19) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Once you have done this and it has rendered, use the free transform tool to reshape the blurred wheel into position.

6836896630_00317506bb_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (18) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

As you can see I have only done the face.

Do the same for the other wheel(s)

Once the wheels are done, the rest of the car needs doing, to do this all you need to do is the same as the above, select each section, use the "Radial Blur" tool, set to zoom, and find the vanishing point.

Work your way around the car, paying attention not to blur static items, like reflections of wingmirrors or the tax disc!

You should be left with something like this:

6836892432_03fe0b7949_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (10) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Step 6.

You have no pretty much completed the image, the final step is to alter the colours of the layers, I usually try to use colours to liven the shot up, and make the subject stand out.

I also did some work on the grills and smudged a lot of the reflections that were left over, and also sorted the tread of the tyres.

Once you are happy, go round and clean up the edges of the car, there may be sharp sections left, use the clone and smudge tool to feather them into the background.

Once finished you should be left with something like this:

6836891088_4ee595be3f_b.jpg

Tutorial screen grab (7) by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Then with a border added and embedded properly into CS :eek::

6983013085_733299c08e_b.jpg

Rig Shot 002 by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Now as I have said a number of times, I am no Photoshop expert so the above is a basic guide, I dare say there is more than half that I have missed out, so if any experts want to add any advice to this, please feel free :)

Thanks for reading, and best of luck.

That is brilliant mate!!

I am a complete and utter PS noob and only have element for image tweeking. Makes me think I should upgrade to PhotoshopCS for more functionality!!

182 track, Mk7 ST
Looks great and seems like a really good guide. I love photography and using my camera but I never really do anything with any of my shots. Things like this really make me want to get into editing them :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one!!
Just had a quick scan of this on the phone. Will be using it again though once im on the laptop. Photoshop has changed lots since 7!

Cheers guys, glad to see its been well received, I wasn't sure if people would be interested in this! :D

Also worth pointing out, that this was very time consuming, even without the print screening the work took best part of 4 hours, so although the final image is quite nice, it needs the time and care putting into it.

If you're going to have a go, maybe try one like mine at the top first. If you avoid the wheels it saves a lot of tricky, intricate work.

Also remember that a few months back I knew sod all about PhotoShop, so if a noob like me can do this, anyone can!

Looks great tbh, I know what you're saying, the background is important for realism, the reflections look very good and the background seems to blurred just the right amount.Great effort, a better setting and you'll be onto a winner!

Not a bad guide that!

Although, anyone with experience in proper car rigging will soon spot the tell tale signs int he 'motion blur' in the background of a faked shot.

Nothing will ever recreate a proper rig shot, but there are other ways of doing it in software that is more controllable than radial blur ;)

As I said in the tutorial, the effect is to replicate a rig shot, not replace, I can see the differences when I look at a real rig shot and mine, but I have no rig. and this was significantly faster than building one! Haha

Also I mentioned that if any experts want to add anything to the tutorial, please do, for my benefit and the benefit of others. So what else could I use other than the radial blur, to create the moving background effect???

I'm not really sure, as I don't use photoshop for that specifically.

It doesn't look like you have enough control points, the for example at the very back where the fence is, in your shot it's blurred where in a real shot that would probably be fairly sharp.

I would undo that blurring step, you say that rig shots have depth of field, most cases they don't. They are pretty much pin sharp throughout the photo, and you certainly wouldn't get a soft background (if it's done properly).

I think that step is the biggest thing that makes the photo look odd to me.

Hmmm, I've seen a fair few that have DOF?! Ive probably gotten myself mistaken then :(

Well yeah, maybe with that DOF removed it would look better? In terms of control points the only way I could think of doing it would be a number of layers for the backgrounds, each dropping down the amount of blur until its reasonably sharp.

Storm Grey 200
Oooo, going to have to give this a go. Although my favourite part of a rig shot is the see through wheel revealing the calipers

Titanium 182
Not bad.

I use photoshop in my job, so I know a few quicker and more efficient ways of doing some of the stuff you're showing - for a start I'd personally use the elliptical lasso tool on the wheels, and I'm not sure if radial blur is the cleanest way of blurring the car's reflections?

The final outcome is good though, but I do think the blurred background is slightly overkill - imo at least, as you wouldn't see anything like that on a genuine rig shot. The right hand side of the picture is the only bit that really tricks anyone in to thinking this could be a rig, but it's a mighty fine attempt! If you can, undo the blurring to the background, maybe crop it slightly and I reckon this is nearly perfect, well done! :)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is a cracking tutorial Ed! It'll obviously never be quite the same as a proper rig shot, but you can make a decent effort at replicating one.
Had a quick go myself, it's not perfect and you can definitely tell it's a photoshop (wheels are a dead giveaway) - but I bet you could fool some people that are not into photography etc, and I found this guide very helpful indeed.

7275003746_636b87a18b_c.jpg

Rig shot by j0eyD, on Flickr

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Your problem there is that your car appears to be coming from the bush. The point that the blur centres from should be where the car's come from ;)

May have to try this, good tutorial, just need to work out how to do it in GIMP!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm.
DSCF1764edits.jpg

I need to work out a better way of clearing up the background element. (couldn't be bothered with the aerial and the plates are getting replaced)