ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External induction a problem at high speeds?

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Hey guys
I'm just about to cut a hole in my bumper and have some ducting going to my air filter.
I was wondering if it was going to damage the engine if I was going motorway speeds?
I had a friend say it was fine but I don't trust him :p

The bore is 102mm, don't worry it's going to be behind the grill, so it won't be seen.

Cheers

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you're cutting the bumper at motorway speeds, you should really wear a crash hat and a hi-vis jacket. Probably best to get someone else to cut it... or stop first.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
It's going behind the lower grill, not actually in the bumper, I've decided that I'm not cutting anything or I'll regret it.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I'm not a car nut so I couldn't give you a technical reason why :p
I've just seen loads of people doing it and I am going to be taking my car on the track a few times this year, as well as a 2500 mile road trip around europe.

I have a list of mods to do and this was the cheapest ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
it might, but it would be minimal really. Most standard setups put the cafs in the coolest part of the engine, so it won't affect it much. Plus you don't really want air to be pushed in as such. Ever tried running into the wind, breathing is hard work. ;)

Listerine & Poledo
Doesn't the fact that it's drawing air from outside the engine bay benefit it at all? Avoiding heatsoak etc.?

Well, to a small degree, but a panel filter would give greater results and not require any messing about

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
car.png

This is what this chap has done right?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
oh, sorry! didn't see it in the picture....

i think it will be a slight improvement because it only get's fresh cold air. what i don't know is wat the (minimal) pressure build up due to ram-air does with the management. i know Renault uses a MAP instead of maf so maybe the slight increase in absolute pressure will tell the ecu to inject more fuel.

more fuel+fresh air= more power.

so in theory: yes it helps. in practise: you won't feel it ;)

Evo 5 RS
low air feed is just asking for trouble - if I hadn't the original box on my ph1 when I hit the er "puddle" my engine would of been well and truly fucked. Do not bother

lift number 1 @ btm
low air feed is just asking for trouble - if I hadn't the original box on my ph1 when I hit the er "puddle" my engine would of been well and truly fucked. Do not bother

There was someone on here who did exactly that, ended up with three bent rods!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Ah puddles... I think I'll shove the pipe somewhere else, there is actually space on the upper grill, ahh the joy of space on a non-sport...

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Hahahhaa ram air does indeed work from 160mph, but thats when you get an overpress. (ram-air) everything under it will just make the engine breathe better!

I don't know how big the puddles are in the uk but driving in with your bumper seems pretty though to me!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I've seen airboxes that try to slow the air coming in to try to get denser air for the throttlebodies. Not sure how effective they are but its not ram air.

Golf GTD Mk7
Hahahhaa ram air does indeed work from 160mph, but thats when you get an overpress. (ram-air) everything under it will just make the engine breathe better!

I don't know how big the puddles are in the uk but driving in with your bumper seems pretty though to me!

Kev06 had his caf running into the Arch and it sucked quite a bit up on a wet day. Bonnet scoop is best/safest I'd imagine

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Ok lads here we go. Prepare to FLOL at this epic bodge!

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

Car power seems the same
The car doesn't get hot any more... (as in the fan kicks in a lot later)
Your get some nice induction noise.

Yes, this is non-sport before anyone cries.
I should so write a guide.

Only problem now is I can't get to the dipstick without taking the grille off, I'll think I'll remove it for MOT's and services lol.

Clio 182
I have a £60 carbon enclosed induction kit with a direct cold air feed to the foglight, i recently moved the cold air feed from under the bumper and felt a difference low end straight away. I don't know if this is a placebo affect or not as the difference is not dramatic but it defiantly feels smoother throughout the rev range.
agydu7e6.jpg