ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F**kin thing's broke down again - alternator?

Not happy. New alternator was fitted in January after last one went up in smoke (literally). New timing belt fitted in March (at 20k miles) after problems with last one. Last night I got stranded in the pissing rain and the dark after the battery completely discharging because (I guess) the alternator's knackered again. Almost made it home but car completely died and I didn't even have enough power for the central locking to respond to the remote. Had to get it jump started before crawling home.

And I had to drive 25miles on unlit m'way in the rain with no wipers and only side lights (xenons wouldn't kick on). That's what really pisses me off.

Is it safe to say it's the alternator that's f*cked again?

WhY am I bothering to moan, i should expect this buying a Renault, shouldn't I? Or maybe I'm getting too cynical the older I get...

:(

Cooper S JCW
Ally - I've got a post just beneath this one with similar problem. I owned Fiat Coupes for the last 3 years - now the Renault is a dream compared to them!!!

tiTTy & SV650
was waiting for this thread to appear, it's only a car (a French one at that) don't let it get to you, as I always say go for a blast when its fixed and you'll be grinning and will soon remember why you bought it.

Should ask the question, WHY?! Has my car killed 2 alternators in the time when my friends higher mileage 182 of the same age is still on its original alternator? (ignore the 9 shock absorbers... lol)

They'll blame your amp, so I'd remove it first.

R35 GTR
Mine is in for new alternator, tensioner and aux belt tomorrow. Good thing is I dont have to pay for aux belt at 36k service next month.

R35 GTR
rory182 said:
what brought that on Dave? Did they give you any answers?

nope, will ask tomorrow though, it has been making a whining noise for a while, so took it to them and they said it fooked. I've never been happier to own a renault .

I think I am gonna pay for extended warranty...

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Dave3141 said:
nope, will ask tomorrow though, it has been making a whining noise for a while, so took it to them and they said it fooked. I've never been happier to own a renault .

I think I am gonna pay for extended warranty...

I considered extending mine when it runs out but after speaking to Renault warranty people I am less than conviced. It doesn't cover all the same parts that the Renault one does including 'auxillary belts'. That was one of the major concerns for me after some of the problems I've had with mine.