ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

f**king, sh*tty, poxy sodding sh*te roads

as members who are from around this way will know the roads here are absolutely appalling! yesterday driving down one particularly bad one i managed to snap one of my rear dampers clean off, therefore damaging my rear suspension!

the council for years have neglected the roads to ensure they limit their descent into the red financially and im wondering if i can claim against them for the cost of the damage to my car because of their neglect?

if anyone can confirm whether or not this is possible and give advice as to how to go about it it would be much appreciated!

i dont see why my pockets should take a bashing because of the belief of my local council, that is populated with green lefties who think we should all ride bicycles and make daisy chains, that roads are not a worthwhile investment

regards

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

There are ways to do it.

My mate claimed against the council that operates roads in NW2 (Hendon I think) when a bad pothole caused him to come off his motorbike.

They were actually fairly quick to pay out once provided with photos etc.

So make sure you get some "independent" witness ;) and take lots of photos of the offending road and go from there.

Fabia vRS

Give it a try, take photo of pot hole, show pic of broken bits, and give them a quote of how much u could be out of pocket....worth a try imo. I know some ppl have got compensation for alloy wheels in the same situation

Willy2

felix i have some spare knackered dampers that u can have for the time being if the cash is tight, about £40 each from reno!

Whilst I really feel sh*t for you the whole problem with councils budget and road repair is a vicous circle and sueing councils makes it worse.

eg. funding poor over time roads conditions worsen, council budget for repair is set at (X) £s of total spending budget of (Y) £s.

Somebody damages car or injures themselves on a poor piece of road and sues council and wins compensation.

Where does the money for compensation come from? Total spending budget (Y) where do they recoup the money so Total Spending doesnt increase and they have to increase council tax and lose votes or be capped? (X) the road repair budget.

So what happens the roads get worse and people continue to sue!

In somewhere like manchester i think it was the budget for compensation is bigger than the budget for repair!

Councils have insurance for stuff like this - I claimed off WMDC and dealt with their insurance company, Zurich Insurance. It doesnt come out of the Councils budget (but I guess their insurance premiums may go up a bit!?).

You need to write to the Highways dept and include photos. Theyll send you a form to fill in which you then return. Youll then hear from the Insurance company who will either cough up or more likely, tell you where to go...

Willy2

round here, the councils contract in the work, and the the contractor will end up paying for it, so take those pictures and write a strong letter, make sure you keep copys and chase it every week!

cheers for the suggestions guys! raj, cheers for offering but the cars already been fixed. i pick it up tomorrow.think ill take the photos and write the letter and see where it goes from there.

regards

my mum burst a brand new tyre in a pot hole once and my dad tryed claiming off the council. when he called, the woman on the phone said that someone would call back later. Surprisingly, they then phoned about 5 hours later and sad that they have sent someone to look at the road and there are no holes. We drove to where the hole was and they had bloody fixed it!!! Moral of the story, get photos first!!!

I claimed for a new wheel for my bike and the leather jacket I wasnt wearing when I came off.

Wouldnt worry about the councils budget. If the compensation comes to more than the repair costs then if they had sense they would borrow the money to pay for the roads fixing and then compensation claims wouldnt have to be paid and they would end up saving money in the long run. At the end of the day they waste so much cash that if they were a private company theyd be out of business and someone else would be doing the job.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

ahh thats bullsh*t man, im sure u can claim give it a try. i nearly did after ripping my splitter off in a pothole, but i lazy and couldnt b assed.

Im not saying you shouldnt claim its just thanks to Mr Brown the system screws everyone.

And claiming makes it worse for all

Sod it lets start a revolution and kill all politicians!

evidently david your in fact so lazy that even pressing the keys on the keyboard are a chore thus making the reading of your post an increased effort, and me complaining proves im indeed as lazy as you!

god im so bored!

but yes i wil get pics, and the new dampers look nice and shiny behind the alloys, thats some consolation!

regards

i know about this!! the rules state that if the council have been notified of the damaged road prior to your damage incident then they are liable. if not they arent.

i know this sounds kinda crazy but this was an article in autoexpress by an AA legal bod a few months back.

i took some pikey test my bruv got off the internet i think. it asks questions to determine how similar you are to the stereotypical view of a pikey! and strangely my mate took it at the exact same time and got the same rating without knowing i took it.....

ill try and find it and post it up

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

You think you lot have got it bad ??? Edinburgh was voted Britains worst roads !

They are truly appaling, there aint one road without at least 10 potholes on them !

kdf m8, u should c where i live in doncaster, within a half mile radius all the roads r rippling from cars,busses,lorries etc going over them, and does anyone want to take a guess at wot the council r gonna do about it???? yep, sod all!!! but i guess edingburgh must b the worst tho, especially if it was voted the worst!!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

in my old clio i went down a pot hole that was about 4 inchs deep and it fu*ked my tyre up i put a claim in to the council and they paid about 80% of the cost of a new tyre i didnt even take pictures just told them where it was and they inspected it.

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

I saw a massive hole on a side road yesterday, it too is like 5 inches deep and 6 inches across, can a make a quick buck an take a photo and tell em my tire burst on it? I am running on a steel by the way.