ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R starting issue

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
Last weekend i drove to the petrol station to do tyre pressures and get fuel. After putting air in the tyres I tried to start the car but the starter motor just clicked.
I thought at first the solenoid had just gotten a bit sticky so gave it a tap but that didn't help.

I got a push start off someone and drove round to the pumps to fill up. After filling up the exact same thing happened. I tried rocking the car forwards and backwards in gear but that didn't help either.
I decided it would be best to get another push start and drive home so i could investigate the problem on the driveway. After not a lot of investigating I decided to put a 2nd hand starter in it as i though that would be the end of it, but it still just clicks on turning the key.

Watch the video below. (this is the 2nd hand starter, but the one i took off did exactly the same)
th_utf-8BVklERU8wMDA1LjNncA.jpg

The starter has been verified as working before being sent from mat brown and the battery was new a month ago.

I'm getting 12.2V at the starter when I try and crank and even attaching a jump lead from battery negative to gearbox or engine doesn't help.

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
I replaced that 2 months ago with a genuine Renault one, but I doubt the crank sensor would stop the car from cranking at all, which is what's happening.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The Crank Position Sensor has nothing to do with the starter operation. It'll be electrical for sure so either the solenoid live wire at fault... the spade connector can cause issues if its covered in corrosion or the wire is hanging off. The other possible cause is the earth strap between the chassis rail and the gearbox is broken.

Mick

F4R Mk1 Hybrid
I forgot about this fuse! I'd cleaned up all the earth straps then thought I'd clean up the battery terminal connections. Won't be forgetting about that fuse again!
utf-8BSU1BRzA1MDAuanBn.jpg

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ah that stupid 120A thing... cut it off and slide the flat bit under the terminal and bolt hte bugger down - Job D U N