ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4RT and gearbox options

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
What Renault gearbox's would fit a F4RT engine even with some fettling? Will a TL4 gearbox bolt up to one? I have previously mated a JC5 box to a 197 lump using the sump and flywheel off a 172 for alignment and then drilling the block, the castings were there for the bolts just not drilled or tapped. Can anything similar to this be done?

Are the 172 197 and 225 sumps all interchangeable as this would allow me to do the same as above?

Cheers

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure you can use the 197 sump on a Meg 225 engine and use a TL4, but the TL4 ration from the 197 are more suited for a revvy engine. You can use the TL4 from a 1.5 dCi Megane though which has longer ratios.

Is a lot easier to use the ND0 box though 😂 @Brigsy has gone for the 250 PK4 in his van with 175 shafts. If you wanna go down that route let me know as I may have some spare 175 shafts

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I was browsing some of the other tl4 ratio box's, the 197/200 version wouldn't be on my list. The small petrol and diesel variants (excluding the top gear) don't look too bad actually. Cruising at 75 with circa 2500rpm wouldn't be too bad and 1 shift to 60 like the old jc5089 with some extra revs cant be too bad a thing.

Just an idea at the moment, looking for an easy to find, cheap cable shift and hydraulic clutched box that could be made to fit the F4RT but fit in a tight space, I'm pretty sure the 197 with TL4 has been fit in a similar space using the original driveshafts which would save another job.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
that said i have just seen a 5 speed pk4 from a modus....? I'd assume the fitment to the block was the same but in a shorter housing. more investigation needed

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye TL4 is a hefty chunk lighter and way smaller in size too. Could just use the 197 block and slap a 225/250 head on it

Grand Modus came on a JH3/JR5/JC5. PK4 is 6 speed only

You gonna be using the Twingo hubs or wanting 225/197 hubs?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
There is a ag 133 with a megane turbo engine in it. There is a build thread on twingo133.net that may be of some use to you.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
seen that before, was done so long ago too!

Im being super cheap with this throw together if it goes ahead so ill make things fit if needed. Im sure it all can be done from the scrap Renault parts bin though :D. From what i thought the beanie sport conversion is a drop in and use the original rs133 shafts but i could be wrong.