ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F7R 714

Will the F7R DA693 Megane 2.0L coupe engine fit in a 1993 1.8 16v?

If so what else would be needed? Gearbox, ecu etc....

Is it a straight swap or is there more work involved?

Cheers

Tony

Also, what exhaust? Is it the same as the williams manifold? Or will i need an adaptor? Standard 16v exhaust fit on to the manifold?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I "think" it just bolts on and you can keep the standard 16v manifold. You can keep the same gearbox as well.

So the 16v exhaust manifold will go on to the megan lump? Is it the right megane lump? Will it go in a 16v? and run

you cant use the complete engine, well you can but youll need to modify a few parts.

Block will bolt straight in and work with your existing ECU and gearbox. The cylinder head is a different casting and port design and the megane inlet manifold wont fit in the clio engine bay. The dizzy is also not on the end of the exhaust cam as on the 16V and its far too much hassle to modify. you cant use the 16V inlet manifold as it wont line up on the megane head.

Use your 16V head on the 2ltr block and all will be fine.

a staright megane engine swap wont work. u need to run a f7p/f7r head design to run the engine management proeprly. the megane f7r uses a different head design, wich means different manifolds. plus the ignition system is different-no dizzy.

jimbo

So the megane head is no good? All i can use is the bottom end?

What bout with the ecu?

Is the box any use to me?

u can use the 16v box fine. u can also use the 1.8 ecu for the time being. i used the 1.8 ecu on williams lump for cupla weeks no probs-jsut dont rag it at high revs. sell the megane head and use ur 1.8 head on the megane block

I meant the megane ecu and box. I can have anything off this megane engine. And i have my 16v ecu box and head. Want to know the best conbo and what needs doing to what to get the most from it.

Cheers

well u can use the megane box, but not the megane ecu with the 1.8 head, as the control for the ignition is completly different. use the bottom end and box with 1.8 head and ecu. get it all running, then get a stage 1 2litre chip off nick hill to suit the 2litre/1.8 head hybrid. thats the msot cost effective way of doing it

jimbo

also, make sure u use the 1.8 flywheel on the megane block, as the timing marks are different on the megane-car wont start otherwise!

jimbo

Is the megane box better than the 16v?

How much am i looking at paying for a chip fitted to the ecu?

What is the going rate for the megane lump? and the box?

Sorry bout all the questions but wanna be doing thes engine change once and want it done as well as it can be.

Also and proably not only is what type of bhp would i be getting from the megane bottom end with 16v head with either the megane box or 16v box? Is it worth the work to change it over?

Who would the megan head be any good to?

Anyone know of places that do this type of work in the essex/east london area?

Cheers

the megane box mite use the same ratios as the williams box, tho im not 100% sure. ur looking at 180quid for a chip fitted, and the going rate for a megane lump is anywhere from 400quid to over a grans jsut for engine alone.

jimbo

Quote: Originally posted by jimbo1a on 09 November 2003

also, make sure u use the 1.8 flywheel on the megane block, as the timing marks are different on the megane-car wont start otherwise!

jimbo
I need the megane starter motor dont i? What bout the alternator?

All help is much appreciated.

a mate of mine made 160bhp and 133lb/ft at john noble rolling road with that very setup. plenty of grunt on tap. use the megane box, as itl give u better mpg in top gear. these 2litres suck the juice!

jimbo

yeah ul need to run the meagne starter, but that should come with it anyway. swap all the ancillary components from ur 1.8 to ur new 2litre block

jimbo

The box adds a few hundred on to the price tho. Ill have to see what type of deal i can come up with.

!60, id be happy with that. I also have a bpv and a oil cooler on the 16v lump, are they worth fitting to the new set up?

im did run a williams ecu, but for some reason my engine didnt like it. so in the end i went for the hp chip. cost me alot, but the end goal was worth it.

a williams/16V/GTT clutch....thy are all 20mm clutches and fine.

all you have to do instead of overcomplicating it iis get a megane bottom end with starter, swap that into your engine bay, slap the 16V flywheel and box on as tehre is no real need to use the megane box, its no better apart from different ratios which are more lazy.

THe megane head you cannot use with large amounts of modification as i have said in my previous post.

Use your 16V ecu with a chip from HP as its the easiet solution and buying a williams ECU is harder to find and almost as expensive. Also HP will do mail fitting service.

Swap your oil cooler yes.

larger valves offer no real flow gain at this level, especially in a std head it can loose flow.

BUT AS THE 16V HEADS PORTS ARE TO BIG LARGER VALVES HELP COMPENSATE BUT ARE OF MORE USE WITH CAMS THOUGH YOU ARE NOW FEEDING A 2.0 LITRE BOTTOM END WHICH ORIGINALLY HAD THE BIGGER VALVES

and the flow difference is still minimal.

Larger valves wont compensate for lower port velocities at low rpm and can hinder flow with increase shrouding at low lifts where you thoughts of compensation come into play. No real need for 32mm inlets untill your into your 200bhp area. They can be beneficial when the ports a suitably modified to make use of the increased inlet valve area.

And no need to shout.

not shouting the caps lock was on but take your points . always looking for more gains but well over the 200 bhp and they help on the turbo lump .

no rebuilt jb5 with limited slip and other mods to remove some weaknesses same guy as built the gearbox for that 300bhp+ fiesta zetec turbo

Is the megane box not the same as a williams then? If the megane ratios are better then ill see about getting it if the 16v ones are better then ill stick with what i have.

Maxiboy, what are you running then? A megane bottom end with turbo 16v head?

read the posts!!!!

its all been said, cause it has no dizzy setup on the exhaust cam and the manifolds wont line up.