ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

f7r or 172??

valver with mods! ;)
i am building a mk1 valver and unsure o what engine to put in it. from your experience which engine would be better a f7r with a fully worked 1.8 head, cams and a williams chip, or a standard 172 engine loom ecu and box. i know the f7r is less work but im looking for the best setup

53 Clio's & counting
IMO the F4R would be a better option.

The F4R would also drive a bit nicer as it will be a standard engine ,and have more scope for tuning.

The 7R is still a great lump though, and there won't be much between the 2 you have listed, but you would need a remap on the 7R, not a Williams chip

williams and trophy
f7 all day imho. easier, loads more drivable with loads of torque available from lower down the rev range. no brainer really.

53 Clio's & counting
Suppose it depends on the cams though Jon, a standard 7R yes, pulls lovely from idle right up to the rev limiter, but the OP stated cams, so im guessing it will be a little flatter at lower revs? All depends on what cams and what they are timed to I suppose

williams and trophy
yeah, 260s and you dont really lose any btm end, but gain in mid/high rev range. thatd be my choice for a good all rounder. bit more wild profile and then you start losing at the btm but gaining more mid range/top end.

valver with mods! ;)
thanks guys, your opinions are valued! which kind of map would be best russ_16v, a rolling road made up map or a preset map from tuning companies? is the standard valver ecu remapable?

53 Clio's & counting
A custom rolling road map would be by far superior mate, and yes the standard ECU is remappable, but being honest it's pretty basic and if you went for an aftermarket ECU the car should make a bit more power and should be nicer to drive too

williams and trophy
as above. the std ecu is more than capable, if you get it mapped properly itl be a flier.
the expense of a stand alone ecu is a bit drastic tho tbh, unless your going to mod further at a later stage, e.g bodies.

williams and trophy
lol....no mate.

mines back to showroom now ;)... the other....well.....its a little sorry for itself.

the trophy isnt a patch on either of them tho imho ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Get some pics up of it, haven't actually seen it for about 6 or 7 years when me and Julian met you at Pod one weekend lol

williams and trophy
its tucked away in the garage mate. where it has been steadily getting spruced up a bit for the last 2 years ;) engine out as soon as i get my hoist back. new box/clutch ready to go in.

its been a while since it saw a road tbh. far too long. hoping to have it out this year if the weather gets better....its a dry weather only car now.

i use the trophy for general abuse letting the kids mess it up with their footy boots and riding gear. its not bad as a shed to ferry em about in ;)

53 Clio's & counting
It'l do I suppose,;)

im tempted to whips Duf's engine out this winter and give it a refresh, shall see how the summer goes with it

53 Clio's & counting
Lol ok il try my hardest over the next few track days ;)

will be taking a trip to see matt brown at some point and pick up a few things to tidy it up

will be staying 7R mind ;)

williams and trophy
sticking with the best lump then ;)

and im sure youl manage to break something....would be boring if there was nowt to fix lol

53 Clio's & counting
Exactly, iv been too busy breaking mk2's the past 6 years or so, iv not broken a mk1 since i had the blue hybrid that martin bought off me and rolled at anglesea lol ( i broke 2nd gear syncro in a new box after 16.000 miles showing a S1 lotus Exige up in a straight line lol)

valver with mods! ;)
from your expeience russ, what kind of power do you think ill get out for this set up with a custom rolling road map using the standard ecu for now as a standalone isnt in my buget until the winter when i plan to tb it!

53 Clio's & counting
Id say about 170 ish bhp and 135-140 lb ft of torque, depending on what cams, how they are timed and what headwork has been done mate, but you will be getting close to the limit of the injectors going much more

53 Clio's & counting
And thats what Im missing at the mo, mine doesn't gave the usual pull lower down, but it's not mapped right for the cams yet so hoping that il get a bit back once it's done. Got a great pull once above 3500 rpm mind

225 Cup & Williams
One of the main things I love about driving the Williams is the low down torque makes it so much easier to drive fast than a 1*2 if that makes sense.

valver with mods! ;)
which injectors would you advice for it so they arent being pushed, i know alot of people on here speak about sabb redtop one but i thought they would have been a bit savage for a n/a engine?