ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F7R vs. F7P

OK, my question is which one of these two is better. I know that F7R is more powerful and with better torque, but Ive heard that there isnt much tuning space left on F7R engine, while on F7P theres a firm in Netherlands that does turbo on it, as well as K-Tec.

What are the tuning options for F7P engine? OK, things like induction kits, intercooler, venier pulleys and cams are phase 2, but is there a space for phase 3? Porting, turbo, maybe compressor? I really need this info, likely in details, cos Im now buying one of those to engines and preparing it for 1/4 mile.

So what can I expect from tubo on F7R? Anyone done it?

Also, is there a chip available for F7R and what do I get from it?

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_H on 04 June 2003

the F7P is a better engine if you ask me.

I would trust a 300 bhp F7P to last longer than a F7R.
Ditto mate, damn tractor engine......P is cheaper and all you really have to do is run more rpm. Apart from that, exactly the same thing can be done to either engine.

Well who do I trust now? I dont know anything about F7R engine, except that is bigger capacity and more HP. And its rare.

While on the other side, F7P is more around, there are plenty of 19 16V and plenty of options regarding tuning...

Now Im confused...

throttle bodies/cams/increase your CR/headowork (not really needed) take your pick, all teh same tuning principals apply to any engine.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

stage 1 e.g. full breathing mods + a chip should take you to just under 150.........maybe 145/146

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Mule on 04 June 2003

K-Tec is the only competitive on that field, right?
No, There is Hill Power and BB tuning as well

MILLIONS!

its a french car!

But being from the UK, im not so friendly with the french tuners, mainly cause i have no reason to be! lol

ive had both in the same car, i much prefere the F7R for what i use it for, and for me it was the far cheaper way to bigger power, there is little differnce between the two but i would say the % increase per pound is better on the F7R

Also look at adis 2ltr running 14.2 1/4s after some head work and regrinds and clean 16vs is the exact same as mine and its runs mid 14s, i think it would take alot to get the F7P to run those times (before anyone says, he did specificaly say its for 1/4 mileing and i know this isnt the be all and end all)

BMW 320d Sport

IMHO the 2.0 F7R seems to respond MUCH better to mild headwork and a slightly wilder than standard cams. The 1.8 F7P lump does show improvement but its over a very narrow band and its not that great. On the 2.0 it really makes a difference.

Depends what you want to do really. If youre thinking about turbo then you might as well stick with the 1.8. If you want to go for a full-on normally aspirated engine then maybe go for the 2.0 to give you a head-start in the power stakes. At the end of the day theres no substitute for CCs!

the problem lies within RPM, the 1.8 can make the same amount of power if you upped the rpm with teh cam, but since most people dont botehr to sort the crank to allow safe running of the 1.8 at higher rpm its not realised.

of course youll have to run a wilder profile which will add to the peakyness.

but 6800rpm, anybody here own a farm? lol

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 04 June 2003

but 6800rpm, anybody here own a farm? lol

Look you chopsy little fecker!! in simple terms the real power come on earlier 2750 ish with mine and pulls progressivly to 7k hil power limit, i agree with what your saying but have a drive of one and you might find you like it more then you expect, drive mine its alright!

no more tractor digs!

yeah you say the power comes in earlyer but you just need to learn how to drive the F7P keep the revs up and it flys must admit to getting caught out still on occasions with low revs but keep it above 35000 and its like a rocket.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Concerning the F7P Changing gear in the powerband keeps it in the powerband therefore when you racing a willy side by side its only 1st gear that sees 2000/3000 rpm so the high reving tourqe makes up for the lack of it down the revs.

BMW 320d Sport

LOL yeah but not everyone wants to drive the thing at 9000 revs all the time just to make up for a low-torque gutless performance the rest of the time - ie like a Civic Type R. Sometimes (a lot of the time in fact, in a road car) its nice to not have to make a complete tit of yourself by having to rev the nuts of your motor, just to overtake an invalid carriage up the High Street. :D

Fair enough if its gonna be a race engine then by all means put the wild cams in and a really lumpy idle and narrow/high up power band doesnt matter. But it gets bloody annoying if youre planning on driving it around normally. The idea of a proper bullet proof F7P lump that revs like crazy is very nice, but how many people have actually gone and done it on a road car? And how many have instead just gone for the raw capacity of the F7R and with a few mild mods seen outputs around the 170 bhp mark which is enough to make it a very handy mover on the roads?

So what do you suggest?

I would like to know whats the process on increasing the capacity on F7P engine. And how to decrease comp. ratio.

I.E. - I increase capacity, to 2000cc, and lower CR to 8:1. And then I put Garrett T25 on it, run it at 0.9 or maybe for drags on 1.2 bars and engine would do pretty good, wouldnt it?

chug chug chug chugh chug............i got a brand new combine harvester and ill give you the keys.......

Nick, your just getting soft, turbo.....torque.......all the comforts of an old man ;)

As for making a tit out of yourself, a whopping loud exhaust and a truck noise every time you lett off your accelerator, big wheels and body kit......not singling you out nick, dont worry :p.......does the trick quite nicely.

And we all know you shouldnt be overtaking on the hgih street! :eek:

capacity increase through the 2ltr crank and rods or simple...change the whole block, CR decrease through piston change.

those silly F7Ps scream like a two stroke hair dryer, torque may be the luxary of an old man but your should respect age and the knowlege it brings!

FRST and 106 GTi

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Has I said before (repeating myself sometimes gets annoying) BenR likes to get the engine idling at 7000rpm and hard cut comes somewhere around 15000rpm.

He is a rpm addict. Go get an Honda ya b*****d!!! :p

BMW 320d Sport

LOL Ben yeah Ill give you a ride in the back when Im out harvesting the crops...but as for the stuff that you reckon goes along with the turbo power, I think youre getting carried away with your boy racer fantasy world mate!

AFAIK I dont have any bodykit nor any exhaust beyond whats absolutely necessary to get the turbo spinning - the Magnex did me fine for years and my BB system was only put on to let the turbo do its thing, and thats not very loud either. Dont know when 17s became big wheels, thats pretty much par for the course - and Id have a bit of a job running smaller rims seeing as my brake calipers have about 2mm of clearance inside those 17s.:eek:

So that just leaves the dump valve - well Im pretty happy to have one chuffing away seeing as Im running 15psi of boost at the moment, and its doing its job relieving pressure on the compressor wheel when the throttle closes, so I cant see any point in NOT having it unless its some kind of reverse snobbery?;)