ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT need help!

Audi S3 225

My car failed its MOT the other day on the cat, they said they couldn’t do the emission tests as the cat/down pipe is leaking or something like that. They rang Renault and a new cat costs around 200 quid!!!

So I’ve got till Monday to decide what I’m going to do, I’ve looked on andyspares and eurocarparts they are around 170 quid, but I don’t want to spend that kind of money as I’m selling the car soon.

I was wondering if the cat or down pipe is leaking can it not just be sealed back up???? Maybe the garage is trying to make a bit of money out of me, as the mot came to 90 quid and they only changed a few bits bulbs and wipers!

What shall I do, I could get a de-cat for around 100 quid fitted from Powerflow, but then I will be risking failing the emission tests as I already have a k-Tec exhaust.

Any suggestions I don’t know what to do HELP ME!

Leaking?

the joint or is the cat damaged itself?

Plenty of people on here will have cats lying about.

Audi S3 225

I havent spoken to anyone at the garage, as they were closed when i picked the car up, they leave the keys with the local petrol station across the road.

Anyway the document said at the bottom " failed on exhaust downpipe leaking so needs new catalyst. then still needs to go through and pass emission tests"

My cars a 1.2 8v grande 2001, if anyones selling a cat, but surely leaking means it can be sealed?

[Edited by Jonesy on 21 May 2004 at 8:16pm]

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

1.2 8v diet engine doesnt have an asbestos ring. its a flange type joint to the manifold with just a sheet metal sealing gasket. the cat on that engine has a flexi joint in a section of the pipe. maybe that has split and is blowing,that would be the weakest section of the cat that couldnt be repaired. any part of the solid sections of pipe or the cat casing could be repaired.