ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fan problems

Willy2

The fan does not cut in when it should, normally the temp goes to halfway on the dash and no further. Yesterday when I was waiting for someone the temp went to THREE QUARTERS. The car is not cooling down when off also.

Any ideas? Thermostat? Fan switch in Rad? Aux waterpump? dodgey temp sender?

There is no coolant loss and the fan will cut in once from startup, no more.

Also when i replace what needs to be done what sealent do you use on the threads(where applicable). Surely someone must have experienced the same symtoms? :mad:

Coolant temp went three-quarters or engine temp went three quarters? If its the coolant temp then Id have said it was a thermostat or any of the cooling components.

For a while I had my engine temp getting too high all the time (right up to 160degC!!). I changed and flushed the coolant system and put in a 15w/50 oil instead of 5w/50 and it was OK.

My fan doesnt kick in till 3/4, when sitting in traffic i get a bit paraniod just had a new water pump fitted and everything seems ok with it cutting in at 3/4...

Skoda Fabia vRS

get a low temp fan switch from K-Tec or BB, mine kicks in at 2/3rds up the water temp scale, and the guy from BB told me that using the low temp fan switch it would kick in exactly half way

Willy2

Thanks people i will check it when the weather gets better, Im just glad the summer is over, I think I will take all the coolant out and replace the componants as mentioned in the first post.

What sealant do you use on the threads on the switches? Is it a special type?

What do you mean the car doesnt cool down when not running, it must do as its not creating any heat and the ambient air temp is much lower.

Just use the gaskets that come with the fan switch and other bits (water pump etc) to seal them. no sealant is needed on threads.

Willy2

No, what i mean is that after the car has warmed up and you take it for a run, the temp goes up. If you park up the car and turn off the ingnition occaisionally the fan comes on to cool the engine, i think for about 8 mins.

Willy2

Well its the fan, its dead. I by-passed the switch and the fan does not come on, does anyone know if you can manouvre the fan out without disconnecting the RAD?