ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fancy a SLR

Ok, i have been considering getting one for a while now, and decided to bite the bullet and get one.. I dont think i would need the latest most expensive one, so generally was looking at the 350D? and the Nikon version?

Anyone care to give me a rough idea on which lenses are worth getting?

I'll do a search aswell :)

182 w/busted splitter :-(
The 350D is still a very capable camera, especially if you're looking for your 'first' DSLR. The comparable Nikon (D40?) is also highly rated.

As to what lenses to get.... that depends really on two things:

1) what are you going to be shooting?
2) how much do you want to spend?

If you buy the 'kit' 350D, you'll get the EF-S 18-55mm lens, this is a 'budget' lens (i.e. not one of Canon's best) but is capable of some good results when used within its limits. If you're going to be shooting landscapes, you need to look for the 'widest' lens you can (Canon's EF 17-85, EF-S 17-55 and EF 17-40L are good choices, along with the EF-S 10-22).

For sports and wildlife, you'll need a longer telephoto lens, something like one of the Canon EF 70-200 lenses.

Also - one of Canon's best lenses, is the EF 50mm 1,8 prime lens; this is the best £75 you can spend with a Canon SLR, and you'll learn so much from working with one fixed prime lens. As an example, all the photos here:

http://www.chriscl.co.uk/photo1/index.htm

Were taken with the EF 50mm 1.8 prime lens, on a Canon 300D body (the model before the 350D).

Rally bus
I think the Canon is 400D now? It'll be 450D next week.

Nikon is D40x.

Best thing to do is to try them both out to see which feels best.

50mm prime lens is excellent, here's one I took last weekend on a portrait shoot with a friend of mine with the 50mm f1.8 lens.

fp_rach.jpg

also, Sigma 10-20 lens if you're doing landscapes etc... another from last weekend:

pwk333d.jpg

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have a 350d and it is so simple to use once you get the basics in place.

I am still using the kit lense but that is fine for what I use it for at the moment. I am sure I will purchase a better lense in the coming months.

oh i know it wont but the results are always just a bit disapointing

Keep it around f/11 max or IQ begins to degrade.. it's also bit of a contrasty situation for the kit lens to cope with... be careful your not as minimum focusing distance...

On the Camera front, spend less on the body and more on the glass :D

The Canon or Nikon kit lenses arn't the best but they'll get you buy till you decide what you want to shoot...

Last edited:
  306 TD Slut
D80 is the latest SLR from nikon correct me if im wrong, we have one at work and a 400d. both very good cameras!

Rally bus
You can't really go wrong with either, I find Nikons to feel a lot more sturdy and well built mind you...

That was my reason for choosing Nikon as well, the Canon equivalent at the time (300D) felt plasticky and toy-like compared to the D70.

172cup
What is the Sony DSC-H1 like????

looking at D-SLR's for my hols in a few months... but don't wanna be continually changing lenses, i'm a complete amateur

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
I got a Sony Alpha mainly because I had Minolta 35mm and could use lenses.

The Sony and I think Olympus have image stabilisers on the body which means you have it on all lenses where as others have on the lenses so pushes costs up on each lens. Think olympus also have a live lcd screen to use like point and shoots have which I can see being handy.

Agree with the lens comments earlier. I got my body relatively cheaply and have splashed out on a f2.8 80-200 off ebay and a brand new zeiss 16-80.

Can't believe I took so long in going over to digital and spent a fortune on film and processing for 2 safari holidays. DSLR a very good investment and the instant results are priceless.