ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO 16v owners

Lupo Gti

Currently got a clio 1.4 rt...now the question i wanna ask u guys is...do i want to get a clio 16v? would u guys reccomend ? if u could have gone back in time would you still have got a clio 16valve or something else?

The reason i ask this is that i really enjoy my 1.4 rt , but theres a few things that put me off getting a 16valver. these are the reliabilty problem...is it worth putting up with it? also my clio feels very "wobbly" on the motorway above 70, doesnt really feel very stable..would a 16v feel better on a motor way?

cheers for any replys guys

by the way i think the 16valve is one of the best looking cars there is!

German Barge

get a clio 16V.

I was in the same position - went from a RT, to a Corsa SRi, then to a Valver.

Chose it over a Punto GT, and a R5, simply because of its looks, and ive always wanted a clio williams - so its the next best thing.

Its steady as hell on the motorway, cruising at 80 feels fine. Plenty fast enough, and looks the chads, plus u can pick them up for 2.5 grand - for a decent example.

Lupo Gti

itd have to be a black or blue valver for sure

think u guys are persuading me..id just have to purseuade me dad about reliabilty ...!haah

I had a Mk1 1.2 before my old Valver - it was a much bigger step up than the Valver was to the Williams.

Youll probably know that a 16V can be a money-pit if you dont buy wisely, but there are very decent examples out there. My Valver cost a lot to run, but my Williams (which is a very similar car from a parts/repairs perspective) is spot on and has given me almost no grief.

My main advice would be to make sure that you have good cashflow every month if you want to buy an old hot hatch like the Valver. If it maxes you out to buy and insure a Valver, then its not a wise choice because there will be some fairly big bills along the way that you dont tend to get with a smaller engined car.

An "average" Valver with, say, 80k on the clock will probably give you a couple of £500 bills a year IMO. At some stage any 16V will need bits like the clutch, wheel bearings, rear arch rust, brake discs/pads/callipers etc. replacing - so it may be best to buy one with it all done.

If youre handy with the spanners or have ready access to cheap parts then this wont be a problem, but for the rest of us a Valver/Willy will have fairly high labour charges due to the small engine bay etc.

Id say that if you take care of your cars and could find a 16V in good condition, then youll have a bargain hot hatch that will make you smile every time you drive it. Theyre lovely cars that dont have the attitude or general air of rollox that a lot of the newer cars have - it a bona fide, old(ish) school, cut-the-crap hot hatch.

Id have no hesitation in buying another myself if ever I had to sell the Williams to raise some cash for something like a mortgage deposit.

No no no, you are supposed to buy my golf so I can get my 944 turbo!!! The starrion was mint to drive, crap off boost, but mad on!!

My 16v has been very reliable to me mate !! Same as all cars of that age its likely to have niggles but should be simple jobs really !!as for stable, my car was STABLE at 130 on the m6 toll ;)

had one

loved it

still miss it now and again

but if i were you id get a WILLIAMS now there so much cheaper then when i bought my valver willys are loads cheaper now

Not a Clio

theres a certain black valver currently for sale... funnily enough in the for sale section with the title "1.8 16v"