ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Any1 who has wired new front speakers

RS Clio 182

I am trying to wire new front component speakers to my new amp in the boot. I intend to use the original wiring in the door until it comes inside the car and then attach new 6mm wiring to the original wiring and take this to my xovers. The problem comes when identifying the cable when it enters the car. The wire inside the door to the door hinge is a different colour from the wire coming from the door hinge/connector block to the H/U.

Has anyone else noticed this or is my car wiring just messed up.

Cheers

P.S. I have the newest shape clio.

Mr2 Roadster

When I did this I used the rear speaker wires to run the source to the front of the car and then joined the front and rear speaker wires together and hey presto, I had sound in the doors from the amp in the boot. Then I just ran in new wires to the boot, was so easy that way!

Hope that helps!

my car had diff colour wires too!1 bit of a pain but worked it out with fading the speakers and cutting wires and re testing.

going to loose all the advantages of the much thicker wire attaching it to original wiring in the car. im aimong on running all new wiring into the doors at some point, thats way gain the advantages, although will be time consuming and not sure how much diff its going to make!

Mr2 Roadster

I doubt that you can run that much power to the front door speakers that the original wiring will be insufficient...?

Nissan R35 GT-R

You shouldnt actually need to use the original wire in the doors, since the amp will (or should) be using RCA input from the head unit, and then the speaker wire will come from the boot, towards the front of the car. You could then just run this into the doors.

Mr2 Roadster

Its just easy that way as you just join left and right behind the head unit and connect the amp out puts in the boot all done, 5 minutes work!

Im not suggesting that its the best way but I did this and I was more than happy and I used to be a sound engineer for Sony Music and a few other companies back in my hay-day... It sufficed for me!

feeding new speaker wire into the doors is easier said than done! of course using RCAs just attach new speaker wire to old speaker wire thats already running into the door.

RS Clio 182

Cheers for the suggestions. Think to run new speaker wire into the doors will be too tricky. My Speakers are rated at 70W RMS so I hope that the original wiring is good enough to cope. Still confused as to why the wire colour changes at the door pillar but hey, its a French car!

Cheers

Nicky, Im interested in your joining front and rear wiring technique, but Im not sure what you mean. When you say you used the rear wires to run the source to the front of the car what do you mean? And where did you join the front and rear wires together?

Cheers.

By the way, Extreme Kennedy, I saw you today at the Switchback! I posted in the spotted forum! :)

The easiest way I found to trace the wires inside the car was to remove the door speaker and use a multimeter to trace which wire it is on the inside of the pillar. I cant remeber which pins are used on the inside of the conector block, but they will have 2 wires connected to each pin - 1 from the head unit and a thinner wire whivh goes to the tweetwr in the dash.

You can remove the conector like this to make it easier to access:

http://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/plug.jpghttp://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/plug.jpg

RS Clio 182

CraigM, is it easy to get in at the screws on the door pillar to release the inside of the connector block?

Does anyone know what goes on with the wiring of the tweeters and the woofers? They should go through some sort of crossover shouldnt they?

The way I done it was to take the door speaker out and look to see what colour the wires were. Then unplug the door loom and pull back the cover. Now look to see where the wires go into the plug. Should be around the centre. Now take the loom out from inside the car and look for the matching pairs. Like Craig said they will have two wires going to each pin. Now to find out which pair goes where (HU or tweeter) I just guest. Trial and error.

Hope this helps.

afaik, the only crossover on the standard components is a passive in-line crossover before the tweeters. The woofers just get fed the full frequency range.

The connector block has screws on the outside of the car. Bit of a tight fit for a screwdriver but can be done. Or you could take the door off to make it much easier to get at. Big no no!

They dont go through a xover. The tweeter has a ressister on the + cable and the woofer has nothing.