ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO:Anyone in networking HELP ME plz!?!?!

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Basically i've built this network and need some help with costings,
How much would appropriate routers and switches cost to support VOIP
And how much would it cost to impliment this network?

I know it will be a lot but it's for one of my uni assignments and i cant find costings anywhere!

R1 I've gone with a cisco 2620xm is that ok?

cheers in advance for any help guys!!!
network1.jpg

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I don't get it ? other than configuring the 2620xm's voip data onto a vlan and maybe setting some QOS stuff there is nothing else to 'buy' except the voip phones of course ;)

Cost per router about £1500 ish ? you didn't say what switches your using though ?

182 Trophy & 106 Rallye
do the prices have to be for new equipment?
as a 2620 is old school, you could pick a 2620xm up with a wic-1t and 3 2950 switches for under 200 on ebay, the installation and monthly rental on the serial will depend on the speed, but will be a hell of a lot in comparison to the hardware.

was it specified that you had to use serial to the isp?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
i need the costs for the installation and the equipment please guys.
I've built it all in a lab environment and it all works so =]

182FF with cup packs
You appear to have no firewall, also, if you ask me S3 should be a layer 3 switch to handle your VLAN routing rather than using your border router. Or is that not part of the project?

As for install prices, what do you mean? Would you need the price for setting up everything from scratch? Will you need cabling? Racks? PoE?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
You appear to have no firewall, also, if you ask me S3 should be a layer 3 switch to handle your VLAN routing rather than using your border router. Or is that not part of the project?

As for install prices, what do you mean? Would you need the price for setting up everything from scratch? Will you need cabling? Racks? PoE?

I've covered everything set out in the guidlines of my assignment (basic router config for the above network)

Uni is very vague with the report...... so I need costing from scratch, just a rough estimate will do.

So costs for:
routers, switch, racks, cabling, everything basically! (just imagine going into an empty office block and starting from nil)

to quote my brief

"Task 7: Equipment selection and Costing
Suggest appropriate devices for R1 and the three switches and supply approximate costing."

2000 Clio 172
What software did you create this on? Is it like a virtual lab? I am looking for something like this.

Thanks.

182FF with cup packs
"Task 7: Equipment selection and Costing
Suggest appropriate devices for R1 and the three switches and supply approximate costing."

That just sounds like they want you to get the costings for the devices and not for all the associated infrastructure such as cables etc.

I would suggest that once you work out what you want model wise just google the model number under the Shopping tab.

i.e. http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Cisco+3750&hl=en

(just chose the 3750 as IIRC that was the last switch I purchased (was a couple of years ago now).

I've covered everything set out in the guidlines of my assignment (basic router config for the above network)

Fair enough, they usually do get you to design stuff that you would never implement in the real world. I would still say that S3 should be a layer 3 switch though ;)

as to all the other stuff, cabling will usually work out anywhere between £50 and £150 per port depending on the quality of cabling and the length of runs. You could pick up a half rack for a couple hundred quid.

You should also take into account that if you are running VoIP, and if your phones are PoE, then you will need to get specific switches (I can't remember what the variants are) that support PoE to power the phones.

I assume that they supplied the IP ranges as well, personally I would have used RFC1918 addresses and NAT at the border, but that's just me and my working in the real world. :rasp:

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
2620-XMs arent expensive if you purchase refurb or second hand, what interfaces are you wanting? If you want VOIP youre gonna need VWICs with MFT...

Do you actually have to build this? If so i have some contacts who can get you cheap kit....

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Cheers guys.
I've got 5,400 words and still typing up the report!
Thanks for all your advice I'll hopefully get it in before the deadline tomo!!

thanks again!

chris.