ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cisco vs Extreme Networks

Hi everyone,
So, just a quick question I need help with. The company I'm working for has decided to do an entire network upgrade at one of the sites. We are currently using mostly HP switches, but got a quote to replace all the HP switches with Cisco switches, which we are very keen for. After basically accepting the quote, our financial manager got some outside opinion and is considering going the extreme networks route, which is basically the old Buxbury equipment if I'm not mistaken? The quotes are basically the same price, but with extreme networks you don't have the 5 year support fees.
Basically what I need is motivation to change management's mind to rather go the Cisco route. Any input would be much appreciated,

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Cisco aren't what they used to be....in fact, now mainly a.software house, they are pretty shite.
However... They are a known quantity. Tin was their bread and butter.
Is this Meraki or Cisco Catalyst?
Layer 2 only? Not data centre?
Doing SD-access?

A few points...
TAC support is excellent. You can drop support down to a lesser value, then use shared support if needed after a few years. You'll never struggle to find a vendor or reseller or shared support. However the DNA tax is a fckin joke.
Whenever you Google a support issue, there is ALWAYS someone with a similar situation.
They were the benchmark for certs in the industry (maybe not now) and thus resourcing is usually easier if you're in the s**t or have project deadlines or niches.

What model switches? Compared data sheets with extreme?
Cisco portfolio is also far reaching and integrating with their product families. Can do defence in depth (as if, anyone does), and use network as the enforcer.
There are also user groups, accessible via account management.
They're also going to be around, whereas I've always worried about some outliers, like Extreme, brocade, etc over the years.
However HP/Aruba and Dell all have reliable product lines, particularly at layer 2 in my experience.