ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO anyone with a lowered Mk1 172

Hey guys,

Everyone with a Mk1 172 thats had their car lowered (on springs only)

- Can you tell me what springs you used?

- How far the car went down?

and most importantly... Has it affected the braking?

I have posted a similar topic before but have reached a dead end. Basically. Most Mk1 172s dont have a rear brake bias adjuster. The car has a load sensor which detects the weight in the back of the car - then puts more pressure to the rear brakes to compensate. This is all handled by the ECU.

Since I have lowered my car (30mm on H&R springs), the rear end thinks there is more weight in the car than there actually is and over-compensates at the rear brakes. Consequently the arse wiggles about behind me on hard braking and on any slight bend in the road this can get VERY hairy

It has come to the point where safety is making me consider putting the whole thing back to standard. (surely this is not neccessary!!)

I have spoken to Nick Hill and K-Tec - They are stumped too. (!!)

Has anyone had similar problems on their Mk1? (Note: Cups and Mk2s have adjustable valves)

Megane 225 baby! :)

Hey Cord, how ya doing? Great to meet you on Sat nite :D

Mine are KTR springs, fitted by them, last week!! David said that it has gone down by 25mm - doesnt seem to have affected my braking but I did have to have my rear brake pads changed (95% worn) at the same time, so dont know if that would help/hinder?!?

Hope I have been some help!!

Yeah I was looking into doing this but I dont think its possible. I have been reading past posts about squirming under breaking etc and it does seem to be aproblem that some people have (not neccessarily on lowered cars though)

The setup (i believe) is slightly different for modern Clios in that the load sensor isnt so directly linked to the ECU (i.e. the ECU doesnt tell the brakes how much pressure to put on).

A bit confused again!!

My Rear brakes are very worn down Ben, would this make a difference to squirming if I had them uprated? Do they lose braking capacity as the pads get thinner?

You seem to know a lot about Clios!

I have fitted Apex springs to my car and very pleased with them. Nothing wrong with the brakes, only little skidding when breaking hard (which Ive sorted out by fitting Toyo Proxes T1 S tyres), apart from that, the road holding and handling is very good, it is like on rail in the corners. The car is lowered by 3cm, and it looks cool as well..

Hi Sarah,

How you doing? Yeah,It was really good to meet you and the others on Sat. Shame I didnt get other peoples post names as nobody remembers real names due to this forum!!! hehe

- I am keen to know how you get on with your brakes. I dont know anyone else with a Mk1 and this problem has really stumped me. Try braking on a long bend (obviously be stupidly careful noting the problems Ive had!!). It usually happens with me on anything over 60-70mph

If given the choice of looks over safety I will always go for safety - I just never expected this problem (and certainly never had it with cars I have lowered before)

Did you get uprated rear pads or OE ones?

Send me a PM when you have tested the car out. - I hope you dont get the same problem but it would e nice (and reassuring!) to talk to someone who has hehehe

ArmRS - No problems then? Thats is good. I used to have 40mm Apex springs on my 1.2 16V - was v. impressed too

- thats good for me in a way too as I despeately want to be able to sort this problem out (and not put the whole car back to standard).

Its going into Renault on Tues 10th for them to test drive it and check the brakes. I almost want them to find a different problem I can relate this to!!!

mines a MK2, I dont think they adjust the rear brake bias when they lowered my car.

the braking seems normal and better than it used to be...

Hmmmm.....looking into to renault does not list a braking compensator for the CB0M chassis (172 both MK1 and 2) however on the bosh 5.3 ABS system it is using an electronic braking distributor.

having a look round the MK2 a few days ago a level sensoer was spotted but there not 100% sure if its brakes or as pointed out for the self levelling headlights.

This is what is listed as teh compensator, but not listed as a part for the CB0M.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1054678790__compensator.jpg

Looks like well have to doa bit of digging, but the 172 is natureally VERY twitchy under braking, increase in wheel size and diameter has a more profound effect on the abs and shared speed sensor on the active dashs than lowering i think. But again, you wont know till you can compare, stc clio against a lowered one, on std wheels and tyres is needed really.

Megane 225 baby! :)

Ive got uprated KTR kevlar brake pads on the rear now and they seem to be very good!! :D (well they have to be better than the 95% worn ones that were taken out!!)

Now I am going to go find a long bend so that I can test your theory out, shall pm you as and when ive finished testing ;)

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have had BBs lowering springs on mine for about 8 months now, they drop it about 35mm. No change in the brakes, but I can give you a definate answer after my trackday at the end of this month.

Thats interesting Ben cheers, I have got bigger wheels (17s) too - which might make a difference. On a quiet weekend I will put the old wheels back on and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers for looking into this guys. !!!:D

mine is lowered about 35mm on Koni shocks with Apex springs - handles better than it did, and no problems with braking - but will also be on track day at end of month so can also confirm after that. Got standard wheels on mine.