ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO BenR-again!LOL

i think ive found out what the durations and valve lifts are for the standard 16v camshafts. these are group N specs, but from what i can gather, group N is the same spec as production components, just to a higher tolerance.

these are from piper;

duration= 260degrees
valve lift= 9.27mm(inlet and exhaust)
power range=1000-6000rpm
overlap=43degrees

and then compare this to the fast road cam they supply;

duration= 264/256degrees
lift= 9.90mm inlet 9.20mm exhaust
power range= 1800-6800rpm
overlap= 40degrees

that cam seems pretty good to me, what do u reckon? cheers

jimbo

hmm, group n in rallying means showroom spec and i think that the standard 16V cams are close to that, if not the same....but mind you, the 16V has got pretty wild cams. And between the two cams, there aint much difference, just a bit more overlap meaning more top end power.
I dont think that the 4 deg change will be worth the money youll spend. I mean, youll probably gain a little more torque due to the lift, and a tiny bit up top, but again, i would still go with the Kent.

cheers for the reply mate!

ive just noticed that nick hill uses the piper cams for his conversion, thats the fast road cam, so im tempted to go with that. the kent cam seems to be a little weird, in that the duration is actually less than the standard cam???????? surely that would bring peak power lower down the rev range? anyway, the big purchase day is looming soon, and il be making my mind up. also depends on whos cheapest!LOL cheers anyway mate

jimbo

well, if nick uses the pipers, they must be good. But, i have always used cams with the highest lift xompared to other cams with similar duration. And the group n as you say, might be a little wilder than the standard cam.
But, its all up to you, i think essentiall they will do the same thing, so price might be best factor to decide on. but also ask if you will need adjustable pullys to fit them. If they say yes, then as why cant they make cams that will fit the original timing marks, the factory can, and these are meant to be high quality/performance versions....so casting defects mean you wont buy it...really hammer them.

yeah well these cams are 190quid for the pair, cus theyre re-profiled ones. the group n cams are 500quid!!machined from blanks. from what ive read, udotn need vernier pulleys until u start pushing 276degree plus duration. and these cams are only mild really. id use some verniers, but at 170quid a pair, its a little daunting!LOL

jimbo

just making sure that they dont try and dupe you into buying some pulleys saying the cams wont work without them.

yeah, i mite get the cams first, stick them in,see how it goes. if it runs poo, then il invest in some verniers, tho 170-odd quid is alot to swallow, for some fancy ally!!!

jimbo

you not getting it flowed then? Big mistake im sorry to say, expensive i know, but the most valuable mods possible.

yeah well i dunt fancy takin the head off, too much work!! gunna be doing the cams with the head in situ. i dunt want big power, just a new top end, and if it gives me a bit more grunt, then i ent bothered!

jimbo

oh, ok then, well taking the head off is only a few more bolts, and you could change the gasket, maybe skim the head. Hope the cam gives yo what you want, will be so nice soundin when it comes on cam.....oh, im off to bed, but just ask if you need any info.