ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO - Chipped Valver Owners

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Hi all

Just wondered how much better a chipped valver behaves? What are the benefits? Anybody wish they never got theirs chipped? Does it make them pull any harder from low revs and so on............

Just tryin to get info really!

Cheers

TW

Fastchip say you can nly get 5 bhp from a chip on a standard valver. they only really benefit with a sett of cams, Exhaust airfilter etc.

Henk at Fastchip done the custom chip for mine, but that is slightly different because I am running boost!;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Hmm 5 bhp is that all? I thought it was more along the lines of 10. Its a hill power chip im lookin at.

Anyone else care to give me a review?

About 5bhp sounds a realistic number. Think its a bit of a waste on a std motor anyway as it just raises the limiter - bit pointless because the engine is still making its power at the original rev limit. IMO dont bother unless youve got cams/major engine work and even then.....

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Hmm the chip in my mates R19 seemed to improve it alot. Not so much in terms of power but the way it was delivered. Seemed to pull much more evenly through the rev range.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Got a BB chip fitted over a year ago when they were about 250 quid. Had cambelt and water pump changed and wanted it chipped to.

Produced 148 bhp with BMC CDA, Magnex inc Decat and chip. So about 11 bhp increase IF car came out of factory at 137 quoted bhp AND if I had not lost any power over years of use.

So other than any power increase, the other benefit is better drivability with power seeming to come in a bit earlier and things seem better all round.

But at todays prices I would not go for a chip unless it was a SMT6 or unichip as they are not much more than an ordinary chip now.